[Nfbf-l] Transportation news!

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 00:53:38 UTC 2010

      Interestin g information for all to read and learn about! Your friend
in the cause, Kirk

      November 15, 2010

      About Fast Mail
      Fast Mail is a regular compilation from the Community Transportation
Association of America (CTAA) of the latest news and updates from the
Community Transportation industry that delivers timely information,
resources, and announcements to our members, colleagues and friends. Please
keep us posted on your latest news and developments by emailing your content
to fastmail at ctaa.org.

      Our Sponsor

      StarTrans buses proudly markets 32 models of MFSAB, Multifunction
School Activity Bus, Transit & Paratransit buses, Shuttle, Hybrid, Child
Care, Church Buses, Charter Coaches and Tour Buses. Available with kneeling
options, offering low floor entry buses. Capacities from seven up to 39
passengers with various wheelchair placements and seating options. Among
these models is the Classic American Trolley bus and Specialty Buses.
      Around the Depot
      New products and documents and upcoming events and training from
Community Transportation Association's staff
        a.. Premiere Issue of DigitalCT Magazine on Mobility Management
Released
        Our first edition of DigitalCT focuses on the much-used -- yet
oft-misunderstood -- concept of mobility management. Mobility management, it
turns out, is an innovative methodology that embraces the full family of
transportation services, utilizes cutting-edge technology and still
maintains its focus on customers and community. This edition is your
one-stop shop for all things mobility management.
        a.. CTAA's Recap of Transit Measures on Election Day
        Throughout 2010, community and public transportation has built an
impressive set of election victories around the nation, particularly in the
vital arenas of continuing or adding local taxes, sales, property, mils,
etc., for the purpose of transit investment. What follows is a quick look at
a number of the key wins and losses for transit at the 2010 polls.
        a.. Webinar: Providing Quality Service During Hard Times
        Join CTAA on Tuesday, November 16, at 2 p.m. EST for a free Webinar,
"Providing Quality Service During Hard Times." In economic downturns, more
people need transportation. Learn how senior transportation systems are
managing to provide quality transportation through innovative management,
partnerships, and new fundraising. Valuable lessons for providers of human
service and community transportation. Panelists: Elaine Wells, Director,
Ride Connection, Inc. Portland, Ore.; Helen Kerschner, Director, Beverly
Foundation; and Jed Johnson, Director, National Center on Senior
Transportation. Moderator: Jane Hardin, Coordinator, Senior Transportation
Programs, Community Transportation Association of America.
        a.. CTAA Competitive Edge Training to Take Place in West Virginia at
the End of November
        The official launch of the Association's Competitive Edge training
program, which will give community and public transit providers the tools,
resources and benefits they need to make them central players in this new
medical transportation environment, will take place at the end of November
in Charleston, W.Va. For details on the Competitive Edge training program or
to get more information on having this important session come to your state,
visit Competitive Edge: Making Community and Public Transit the Best
Alternative for Medical Transportation (PDF)(68 KB)
        a.. Important Updates at the CTAA Insurance Store
        CTAA's Insurance Store website was recently updated with new
information on the details of the Healthcare Reform Law, courtesy of our
partners at Gallagher Benefits Services, Inc.
      The Capitol Limited
      News on federal transportation policy and developments from the
Nation's Capitol
        a.. FTA Awards $164 Million for Clean-Fuel Technologies
        Source: Federal Transit Administration
        The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has announced that urban
and rural transit providers across the nation will receive a share of $164.7
million for cutting-edge projects that create 'green' jobs, promote the use
of clean fuels and help reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gases and
other pollutants. "Putting money into green transportation just makes
sense," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "These projects will
reduce our nation's dependence on oil and create many good-paying green jobs
for American workers." The money is being provided through FTA's Fiscal Year
2010 Discretionary Sustainability Funding Opportunity, announced last April,
which comprises two programs: $89.7 million from FTA's Clean Fuels Grant
Program, including partial funding from the Bus and Bus Facility
discretionary program, and $75 million from FTA's Transit Investment in
Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction (TIGGER) Program. The Clean Fuels funds
were awarded to 36 transit recipients; TIGGER funds were awarded to 27
recipients.
        a.. FTA Posts Annual Certifications & Assurance Notice
        Source: Federal Transit Administration
        If you plan on receiving funding from the Federal Transit
Administration (FTA) this fiscal year, please take note of their latest
"Certifications and Assurances" notice, which was published in the Nov. 2,
2010, Federal Register, and which is available on the FTA website. The fine
print may seem eye-numbing, but there is comfort in knowing that there were
only modest, updating, changes this year, and there is even greater comfort
in knowing that you're agreeing to uphold applicable federal requirements in
the receipt and use of your FTA funds. All FTA grantees must agree to these.
If you have questions, contact your FTA regional office.
        a.. HHS Publishes FMAP Rates for 2012
        Source: NRC Capitol Clips
        One of the most important numbers for state budgeting and other
purposes is the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage, or FMAP. At its core,
this number represents the rate at which the federal government will
reimburse states for medical services they provide through Medicaid, but
FMAP rates also are used in a number of other federal programs, including
the Children's Health Insurance Program, support to states for child support
enforcement, some payments to states through the Child Care and Development
Fund, and some assistance to states for foster care and related programs.
Because these programs, especially Medicaid, represent huge portions of
states' budgets, FMAP-based reimbursements loom large in state budgeting. As
a result, state agencies and their partners are taking note of a notice
published on Nov. 10 by the US Dept of Health and Human Services,
establishing the FMAP rates that will be in effect from Oct. 1, 2011,
through Sept. 30, 2012. FMAP rates are calculated every year. Current and
historical rates are posted on-line by the HHS Assistant Secretary for
Planning and Evaluation (ASPE). The rates for FY 2012 appear in the Nov. 10,
2010, Federal Register, but soon will make their way to the ASPE web site.
      The Community Transportation Flyer
      Updates from community and public transportation systems from across
the country
        a.. Mason County Transit (Wash.) Partners with Faith in Action for
Volunteer Transportation
        Source: Kitsap Sun
        Faith in Action and Mason County Transportation Authority have
signed a contract recently for a joint volunteer-based transportation
program. Each agency previously offered similar services but the joint
endeavor allows them to streamline as well as expand them. Faith in Action,
a Belfair-based nonprofit that serves low-income seniors and disabled
individuals from North Mason and South Kitsap/Key Peninsula areas, has a
cadre of about 20 drivers who volunteer their time and vehicles to transport
clients to medical appointments, grocery stores and for other needs. The
drivers pay for gas out of pocket.
        a.. Sioux City Transit Plans Free Rides for Disabled Veterans
        Source: Sioux City Journal
        Veterans who have a service-related disability would be able to ride
Sioux City Transit System buses for free, under a proposal to be considered
by the City Council. The American veterans would be given passes to ride the
buses on the fixed bus routes, which run Mondays through Saturdays, from
5:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Jeff Harcum, transit operations manager, said. "We felt
our veterans living in our area certainly are deserving of this for making
these kind of sacrifices," he said. The Transit Advisory Board will
recommend the council initiate the program. Harcum said other cities in the
country already offer similar programs to disabled veterans.
        a.. Great Falls Transit (Mont.) Invests in Hi-Tech Buses
        Source: KRTV.com
        Great Falls Transit is going high tech by adding a few new features
to their buses. The agency recently received congressional funding which
allowed them to purchase some new buses, and along with the buses came the
opportunity to add a new security system and GPS device. GFT manager Jim
Helgeson says he's excited to have the financing to make these upgrades,
noting, "We've always wanted to be able to do that -- install the camera
systems. When we ordered the 2003 buses we were a little short on money and
decided, well, we'll keep investigating that and we've come to the point
where we have the financing so we decided to jump on it."
        a.. Niagara-on-the-Lake (Ontario) Restores Shuttle Operation
        Source: Niagarathisweek.com
        After an eight-month absence, the community shuttle has officially
returned to town. The dispatch phone lines went live Monday morning and the
cabs took to the streets. Niagara-on-the-Lake once again has a local
transportation option. The shuttle service will run like it did previously,
with the town divided into different zones. Subsidized tickets will be
available in bundles of 10 vouchers for $40. Each ticket has a value of
$7.50 but works out being purchased for $4 each.
        a.. Denton County (Texas) Joins DART, Fort Worth T in $10 Daily
Unlimited Pass
        Source: Dallas Morning News
        The DART board voted 12-2 Tuesday to approve a reciprocal agreement
with its Denton County counterpart to allow passengers to buy one ticket and
enjoy unlimited daily use of trains, buses and other transit services in
Denton, Fort Worth and throughout DART's service area. The policy, identical
to one already in force between DART and Fort Worth's transit agency, known
as The T, will allow patrons of any of the three systems to pay their home
agency a $10 fare and use bus or rail services throughout the region.
        a.. Riders Embrace New Visalia (Calif.) Transit Center
        Source: Visalia Times-Delta
        As bus riders found their way around the 32,000-square-foot
expansion at the Visalia Transit Center on Monday, one thing was clear.
"There's more room for the buses now," said Yadira Salamanca, 18, of
Visalia. "It's not as crowded." On the north side of the Transit Center,
buses used to jam up as Visalia-bound buses mixed with buses from Greyhound,
Orange Belt and Tulare and Kings counties. Now, only Visalia-bound buses are
in the 12 new bus bays on the south side of the Transit Center, said Monty
Cox, transit manager. The out-of-town buses and the Visalia Trolley remain
on the north side of the Transit Center.
        a.. Upper Cumberland (Tenn.) Human Resource Agency Recognized by FTA
for Outstanding Public Service
        Source: Crossville Chronicle
        Since inception in 1973, Tennessee's nine Human Resource Agencies
have been driven to meet the needs of residents in the communities they
serve. The Upper Cumberland Human Resource Agency (UCHRA) goes one step
further in anticipating the needs of the 14 counties it covers using a
resourceful, hard working staff of caring employees. This determination
gained the UCHRA national recognition from the Federal Transit
Administration (FTA). The FTA presented Phyllis Bennett, UCHRA Executive
Director and Rebecca Harris UCHRA Transportation Director an award for
Outstanding Public Service for rural transportation, one of only six given
nationally. The Tennessee Department of Transportation was represented by
Dironna Belton, Planner IV.
        a.. Moscow (Idaho) to Build Intermodal Transit Center
        Source: klewtv3
        The City of Moscow has been awarded a $1.5 million grant from the
U.S. Department of Transportation. The grant will be used to construct
what's called an Intermodal Transit Center. Preliminary plans for the center
include a transit facility featuring exterior covered structures with a foot
passenger loading zone and secure bus and bicycle parking. The facility will
also provide access for taxis, van pools and carpools, and will expand
pedestrian and bicyclist accessibility and feature a link to Paradise Path.
        a.. Behind GO Transit's (Ontario) New Passenger Charter
        Source: National Post
        After thousands of riders petitioned GO Transit for better service
more than two years ago, the regional transportation service set to work on
a passenger charter to deliver customer satisfaction for its thousands of
daily riders. The resulting five-point plan was introduced. "We start a
better way to deliver what our customers want, and that is better service,"
said Metrolinx president Bruce McCuaig in a news conference at Union
Station.
      The Whistle Stop
      Timely and insightful commentary, analysis and opinions regarding
important trends, topics and developments in community and public
transportation at the national, state, regional and local levels
        a.. Think Public Transportation Isn't a Social Justice Issue? Think
Again
        Source: Huffington Post
        "Public transportation speaks volumes about a society. It speaks
about racism, economic injustice and the patterns of historical development
as a nation -- economic, social, cultural, political, environmental -- which
are embedded in a transportation system many people take for granted.
According to Race, Poverty and Environment, a journal for social and
environmental justice, most transportation systems across the United States
destabilize urban core communities and don't serve the needs of many people
of color, women, working, poor, young, elderly and disabled people in urban,
rural and Native American tribal communities alike."
        a.. Why Public Transportation is Good for Kids
        Source: Grist
        "It's become part of the collective American belief system that cars
are the preferred (if not the only acceptable) mode of transportation for
our children. Cars are now viewed as an essential tool of good middle-class
parenting -- both as a means of keeping our children safe from the evils of
the outside world and of providing convenient access to the myriad
destinations to which we are required to deliver them. What I've learned is
that there are significant challenges to parenting without a car. This is
not because there's anything inherently unhealthy or inconvenient about
taking kids on public transit, but because most U.S. cities, including mine,
were built (or rebuilt) to accommodate cars. I've also learned that opting
to continue our bus-based life was an excellent choice for our children's
health and well-being."
        a.. Bike Sharing as the Newest Transit Mode
        Source: Greater Greater Washington
        "With bike sharing systems popping up all over the world, it's about
time we look critically at the role these systems can play in a city's urban
fabric and transportation system. While bikes have been an integral part of
the modal mix in many cities for years, they served a similar purpose to
automobiles, exclusively personal mobility. Bike sharing has altered that
paradigm, essentially creating a new mode of public transit."
        a.. A Coarse Comparison: Public Transit vs. Personal Car
        Source: Sustainable Waterloo
        "Over the past year, I began voluntarily leaving my car at home in
favor of public transit for trips outside of Waterloo Region. My intention
was to begin to wean myself off of my car, in favor of a more sustainable
mode of transportation. This summer I was on the bus back to Waterloo from a
conference in Toronto, and I realized this change has become about more than
just sustainability for me. I've decided to share a micro-level analysis
here on the costs and benefits of taking public transit to Toronto for this
particular conference. My analysis is broken down into the four main areas
effecting my decision: economic, sustainability, personal time/convenience,
and social."
      The Porter's Station
      Organizations and agencies in a wide range of disciplines and issue
areas provide resources, events and technical assistance to help communities
of all kinds improve mobility options. Here you'll find the latest
announcements by these entities to provide you help along the way
        a.. Rural Transportation News
        Source: National Association of Development Organizations (NADO)
        The newsletter of NADO, "Rural Transportation News," announces two
reports relevant to emergency evacuations in rural areas. The newsletter
gives an in-depth summary of the reports. One examines the capacity of
transit and school buses to provide transportation during emergency
evacuations in places like the Gulf Coast, where many rural residents do not
have cars and hurricanes are a fact of life, making evacuations a seasonal
routine. The report also covers coordination and communications. The other
report looks into workforce, operating budget, and communication in rural
evacuations. The evacuations discussed n this publication involve moving
people from urban areas into rural ones.
        a.. Joint Council's Technology and Outreach Committees to Host
Webinar on Broadband in Mass Transit
        Source: The Joint Council
        The Joint Council's Technology and Outreach Committees are teaming
with the Wireless Communications Association International (WCAI) to present
"Connected on the Move: Wireless Broadband in Mass Transit Webinar" on
Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010, 2:00 p.m. EST. The WCAI is the global trade
association of the wireless broadband industry. Their mission is to be a
technology-neutral, non-profit organization committed to advancing economic
opportunity for the wireless broadband industry. The webinar is free to all
representatives of companies/agencies listed on the Joint Council website.
        a.. National Center for Safe Routes to School Accepting Mini-Grant
Applications for Spring 2011
        Source: National Center for Safe Routes to School
        The National Center for Safe Routes to School is now accepting
applications for 25 mini-grants of $1,000 each. These mini-grants support
the goal of Safe Routes to School (SRTS) programs, which is to enable and
encourage children to safely walk and bicycle to school. SRTS programs are
implemented nationwide by parents, schools, community leaders, and local,
state, and tribal governments. Applications are due Nov. 19, 2010. These
mini-grants may fund activities ranging from the nuts and bolts that help
start or sustain a program to new ideas that explore the range of benefits
of safe walking and bicycling. The activities should occur between January
2011 and the end of the Spring 2011 semester.
      The Information Station
      Resources at www.ctaa.org
        a.. "Applying Mobility Management Approaches to Serve Job Access
Needs" Webinar Playback: This Joblinks Employment Transportation Center
webinar examined how a mobility management approach can serve the needs of
the employment world's customer groups: job seekers and employees, as well
as businesses and employment and training agencies. Webinar Playback (Adobe
Connect Pro Recording); Webinar Slideshow (PDF)(2.10 MB)
        a.. Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Resources: These publications
and resources address the needs of LEP populations with regard to
coordinated human service transportation.
        a.. Community Transportation, RAIL Magazines Launch News Feeds: The
Association's publications, Community Transportation and RAIL magazines have
launched real-time news feeds on their respective web pages: Community
Transportation magazine, RAIL magazine. Editors Scott Bogren and Rich
Sampson provide daily updates on the latest happening in community and
public transit, as well as passenger rail. Check back frequently for quick
and easy access to the latest news!
       The Transportation to Work Toolkit for the Business Community gives
businesses the information they need now to assist their employees in
achieving a timely, cost-efficient commute that promotes productivity and
job satisfaction. Explore the toolkit's flyers, fact sheets, resources and
examples of transportation initiatives undertaken by employers nationwide.
Each approach is straightforward to launch and simple to manage.
        a.. Partnership for Mobility Management: The Partnership for
Mobility Management is a joint effort of technical assistance partners that
work with local, state and regional leaders and organizations to realize the
possibilities of improving transportation options for all Americans wherever
they live and to assist those especially in need of alternative
transportation options.
        a.. CTAPnet Peer Network: The CTAP Peer Network, CTAPnet, is an
online community of community transportation practitioners and experts. This
revitalized Peer Network enables you to ask questions of transportation
providers working in the field as well as engage in conversations with other
transit professionals. It provides distance learning events on the latest
topics of interest to community transportation. Visit http://ctapnet.org.

            Community Transportation Association | 1341 G Street, NW | 10th
Floor | Washington | DC | 20005

--

Jo Ann Hutchinson
United We Ride Ambassador-FTA Region IV