[Nfbf-l] pedestrians in tampa metro area

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 17 17:36:31 UTC 2011

Dear Matt,

I took guide dog training in the Tampa area, where we traveled over to down
town Tampa to work on street crossings and in an urban area larger than the
little city where the guide dog school is located.
I saw no real problems there and feel I was as safe as any other place I had
been in Florida, including my home area of Palm Beach County.
Crossing streets is always a dangerous thing to do , but I have learned to
do it, with a cane and with a dog.
Any road can be crossed as long as all of the proper elements are present to
help you.
You can never count on drivers doing everything that they are suppose to do
and must always watchout for them.  The rest is just the mechanics of street
crossing.
To get respect from drivers, you must get noticed and send positive signals
about what you intent to do.  They won't wait for you to make up your mind
and then proceed.
Good luck with your choice of locations in Florida to live.
Saint Petersburg, across the bay from Tampa, is the home of Freedom
Scientific and the makers of JAWS.  Saint Petersburg is doable too, but you
might contact someone , such as Jim Ellsworth, at FS. and talk to him about
the area and job possibilities there.
FS has a toll free number of (800) 444-4443 and ask to speak to Jim.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
President, Palm Beach Count Chapter
Boca Raton, Fl.