[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: A Force to be Reckoned With

Carlos J MontasAS carlos.montas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:25:19 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Frankie Mastrangelo - JFA Moderator
To: carlos.montas at gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:01 PM
Subject: A Force to be Reckoned With

                        JFA Readers,

                        August 2nd is quickly approaching. All eyes are on Congress as the last possible deadline to determine the next chapter in our nation's history draws near. Will we raise the debt ceiling? Will the health care - the lifeline - for millions of people with disabilities be tossed to the wayside?

                        These are scary times. The fate of Medicaid is uncertain, the CLASS Act - legislation that enables people with disabilities to live and work in their communities -- sits on the chopping block and there is no "plan B" for those who rely on these essential supports.

                        Across the country and in Washington, those who will be most affected by these budget cuts are being viewed not as people, but as numbers on a spreadsheet.

                        AAPD is working hard to offer a human face to this ongoing debate.  Last week, we brought families to meet with White House officials and their Congressional representatives to tell their Medicaid stories. This week, we ran radio ads in Iowa and New Hampshire  featuring the stories of families who receive Medicaid.

                        Through showing lawmakers, and people in communities everywhere, that Medicaid is a lifeline for real, hard-working Americans, we can ensure that the disability community makes a genuine, significant impact on the current deficit negotiations.

                        Yet, if we are to continue this work, and do our part to make sure people with disabilities are able to continue working, contributing to their communities and leading independent lives --- we need your support.

                        Will you join our fight with a donation of $15?

                        I know you don't normally receive requests like this from us. But now, more than ever, our community must be a powerful force for change. Our movement for inclusion, full participation and equality is under fire and we need you to push on and push forward.

                        Help us make sure that the disability community is a force to be reckoned with during these next two weeks and beyond.

                        The time is now.

                        In solidarity,

                        Frankie Mastrangelo

                        JFA Moderator

                        MODERATOR, Frankie Mastrangelo, JUSTICE FOR ALL -- A Service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD).

                        To respond to a JFA email, submit an article, or contact the moderator, email her at jfa at aapd.com.
                        ACCESSIBILITY: To request to receive a text-only version of this and every JFA newsletter rather than the html version, please contact the moderator at jfa at aapd.com.

                        DISCLAIMER: The JFA listserv is designed to share information of interest to people with disabilities and promote dialogue in the disability community. Information circulated does not necessarily express the views of AAPD. The JFA listserv is non-partisan.

                        JFA ARCHIVES: All JFA postings from 1995 through October 2007 are available on the AAPD website. Archives of news and other articles featured on JFA since October 2007 are available by category and date on the JFActivist blog.

                        Share JFA

                        NCD Urges Elimination of Electric Shock and other Aversive Punishments

                        via NCD (7.18.11):

                        The National Council on Disability (NCD) submitted comments today supporting amendments to regulations proposed by the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services to restrict electric shock and other aversive punishments for students with disabilities.

                          >>>For the Full Article

                        In LA: State Agencies Not Offering Voter Registration Forms, DOJ Steps In

                        via the Department of Justice (7.14.11):

                        The Department of Justice announced today that it has filed a lawsuit against the state of Louisiana and a number of Louisiana state agencies and officials alleging that the state has violated its obligations under the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA).

                        >>>For the Full Press Release

      Forward email

            This email was sent to carlos.montas at gmail.com by jfa at aapd.com |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy Policy.

      American Association of People with Disabilities | 1629 K Street, NW | Suite 950 | Washington | DC | 20006