[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: Equal Opportunity, Independence, Full Participation: The ADA Turns 21

Carlos J MontasAS carlos.montas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 02:32:34 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Frankie Mastrangelo - JFA Moderator
To: carlos.montas at gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:14 PM
Subject: Equal Opportunity, Independence, Full Participation: The ADA Turns 21

                        Presidential Proclamation -- 21st Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act

                        via the White House (7.26.11):

                        Generations of Americans with disabilities have improved our country in countless ways. Refusing to accept the world as it was, they have torn down the barriers that prohibited them from fully realizing the American dream. Their tireless efforts led to the enactment of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), one of the most comprehensive pieces of civil rights legislation in our Nation's history. On this day, we celebrate the 21st anniversary of the ADA and the progress we have made, and we reaffirm our commitment to ensure equal opportunity for all Americans....

                        >>>For the Full Article

                        Without Work, We Can't be Free

                        Today is the 21st anniversary of the greatest day in history for Americans with disabilities.  The ADA was signed into law by President George H.W. Bush in 1990.

                        Our great leader, Tony Coelho, was the author of the ADA; in addition to the significant impact on Americans with disabilities, the ADA has influenced the creation of similar laws in other countries throughout the world.

                        The ADA has ensured improved access for Americans with disabilities. Although, 21 years later, we still suffer the greatest unemployment of all groups in America.

                        Over 70% of Americans with disabilities are not even counted as labor force participants.  During the recent recession, Americans with disabilities were leaving the labor force at more than 10 times the rate of the non-disabled work force.

                        So often, people ask me for suggestions about how to celebrate the ADA anniversary and what can be done at their companies.  I have the answer - hire someone.

                        This ADA anniversary, make it a reality and hire a person with a disability.  Don't wait.

                        Without work, Americans with disabilities will never, ever be free in this country.  I know a lot of people who are ready, willing and able to work!!

                        Best,

                        Joyce Bender

                        AAPD Board Chair

                        MODERATOR, Frankie Mastrangelo, JUSTICE FOR ALL -- A Service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD).

                        To respond to a JFA email, submit an article, or contact the moderator, email her at jfa at aapd.com.
                        ACCESSIBILITY: To request to receive a text-only version of this and every JFA newsletter rather than the html version, please contact the moderator at jfa at aapd.com.

                        DISCLAIMER: The JFA listserv is designed to share information of interest to people with disabilities and promote dialogue in the disability community. Information circulated does not necessarily express the views of AAPD. The JFA listserv is non-partisan.

                        JFA ARCHIVES: All JFA postings from 1995 through October 2007 are available on the AAPD website. Archives of news and other articles featured on JFA since October 2007 are available by category and date on the JFActivist blog.

                        Share JFA

                        On ADA Anniversary, Obama Stresses Importance of 508 Compliance to Improve Employment for PWD

                        via the White House (7.26.11):

                        Today, following on other steps already taken, the Obama Administration announced new efforts that will continue to support increased employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and will also help make the government more open and accessible to all citizens.

                        Specifically, the administration is working to release a draft comprehensive strategic plan to improve compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act....

                        >>>For the Full Article

      Forward email

            This email was sent to carlos.montas at gmail.com by jfa at aapd.com |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy Policy.

      American Association of People with Disabilities | 1629 K Street, NW | Suite 950 | Washington | DC | 20006