[Nfbf-l] Meet Christopher Gorham, Star of Covert Affairs on the USA Network

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 19:54:44 UTC 2011

Covert Affairs is a great show and the blind character in the show is
portrayed very well. Part of his character is that he is a blinded veteran
as well. Please see intervview below. Please share.

Meet Christopher Gorham, Star of Covert Affairs on the USA Network

In honor of US Veterans' Day, VisionAware's [1] Editorial Director Maureen
Duffy is pleased to interview Christopher Gorham, who stars as blind
military intelligence agent August "Auggie" Anderson in the hit dramatic
series Covert Affairs [2] on the USA Network.

Covert Affairs tells the story of a young CIA trainee, Annie Walker (Piper
Perabo), who is summoned to duty, with minimal explanation, as a field
operative with the Domestic Protection Division (DPD), housed within CIA
headquarters.

Auggie Anderson is currently head of the Technical Operations Department
within the DPD. Auggie is a former Captain in the 82nd Airborne Division and
Special Forces operative who was blinded while on a mission in Tikrit, Iraq.
Auggie understands the intricacies of the CIA in a way that few others do
and serves as Annie's guide through the tangled CIA bureaucracy.

Maureen Duffy: Hi Chris. I appreciate your taking time to visit with our
readers! I've read several interviews in which you discuss your audition as
Auggie, including the fact that you didn't know very much about blindness
back then. I am curious, however, about this: What drew you to audition for
Auggie, the blind character? What did you believe you could bring to the
role?

Christopher Gorham: Initially, like most of the guys who read for this part,
the challenge of playing a physically convincing blind character is what
caught my attention. What I needed to know before I accepted the role,
however, was that Auggie would also be an emotionally convincing character
with depth and complexity.

I liked the fact that he excels at what he does, but also wanted to make
sure he didn't become the typical quirky computer geek that so many
procedural shows have now. I wanted him to be a leading man, who happens to
be blind, and I think we've succeeded.

Piper Perabo and Christopher Gorham M.D. And of course I have to ask this
question: How do you respond to people who believe that the role of Auggie
should be played by a blind actor?

C.G. Honestly, I'm almost never asked that question. Certainly, a blind
actor can be capable of playing a role like this. I think that goes without
saying. I really can't speak for the producers, nor the network, as to why
they chose as they did.

The only thing we've done, that a blind actor might not be able to do, is
the flashback episode [3] showing Auggie in Iraq before he lost his sight.

M.D. Have your ideas about blindness - and disability in general, perhaps -
changed since you first auditioned? If so, in what ways?

C.G. Oh, sure - of course! My admiration for people living with disabilities
has absolutely soared since I started working on this show.

I met a man who lost his sight at twenty years old who gave up his mobility
training [4] for an entire year because he was too embarrassed to practice
walking with his cane on his street. He then worked up the courage to do the
work, moved on with his life, and now works as a professional and is married
with children.

I met a young man who is congenitally blind and plays drums in a heavy metal
band.

And David Lepofsky, who's well known in Canada as a lawyer and disability
advocate, has introduced me to all the newest, coolest technological gadgets
for the blind [5] (some of which have made it onto Auggie's desk!).

The people I've met and the reading that I've done have all served to
educate me about the technical, and emotional, aspects of living without
sight; but, as importantly, they've reminded me how different each
individual is.

It's the uniqueness of each individual with a disability that, I feel, has
driven us to make Auggie a "real" person, not just a "blind guy."

M.D. In a recent interview, you mentioned that most sighted people don't
know any blind people, and, as a sighted person who happens to have many
blind friends, I do agree with you. Now, of course, you've spent quite a bit
of time around blind people, both as colleagues and friends. What is the
most interesting thing you've learned - as Auggie or as Chris - about living
with blindness?

C.G. The most interesting thing I've learned is how differently each person
lives; at the same time, the training blind people receive seems to be
pretty standardized. For instance, mobility training [4], as I understand it
and have (in a limited way) experienced, is based on a standard body of
knowledge. Safe cooking technique [6] is another example of something that's
fairly standard, such as using trays, not leaving knives in the sink [7],
etc.

What's great, and should be expected but often is not, is how each
individual takes that training and then modifies it for their individual
needs. For instance, I've seen one, maybe two, blind people on the street
who are holding their canes the "proper" way. The rest of them are just
holding it however they find comfortable.

In Istanbul, where we were shooting for Auggie's flashback episode [3] of
Covert Affairs, I saw a blind man walking, quickly, in the middle of
hundreds of people with his beat-up, bent cane just kind of held out in
front of him and he was one of the happiest-looking people I saw on that
trip.

M.D. I've also read about your rehabilitation training at CNIB [8] in
preparation for your role. This especially interests me because, for many
years, I was a university professor who taught the adapted "skills of
blindness" course at Salus University [9]. What was the most difficult skill
for you to learn? Is there any daily living activity (blindness-related)
that you still want - or need - to master?

 C.G. Street crossing was the most difficult. I know that anyone who's gone
through that training knows what I'm talking about. Until you've stood,
sightless, on the corner of a major intersection, trying to listen for the
traffic pattern and planning your veer so you don't walk into oncoming
traffic, then walk not knowing, for sure, how far you have to go, nor, if
the corner isn't very tactile, knowing for sure when you've made it all -
well, you know what I mean.

That was tough, and I wouldn't go out and try it alone. And let me say this,
I haven't "master"ed ANY of the blindness-related living activities [10]!
This is, very much, a work in progress.

M.D. Speaking of mobility, will Auggie ever get a guide dog? As you know, a
dog can definitely be a "babe magnet," so to speak!

C.G. I've wondered the same thing. The answer is, I don't know. But, you
know what they say about dogs and kids in film. (In case you don't know what
they say, they say dogs and kids will always steal the scene, so don't work
with them!)

M.D. What are some of the more humorous things that have happened to you (on
or off the Covert Affairs set) related to your role as a blind person?

C.G. Early on, in Season One, we had to re-shoot a scene because I realized
halfway through that if Joan (senior DPD officer Joan Campbell, portrayed by
Kari Matchett) wasn't leading me, and she hadn't been, there's no way I'd be
able to turn the corner, during the "walk and talk," exactly at the same
time she turned. To make my point, on one take I just kept walking
straight - out of the shot!

Also, I added a moment, in the pilot, where Annie takes off without me,
forgetting that I'm blind because we'd just met. Real, and funny.

M.D. I imagine that an actor's defining role, such as your portrayal of
Auggie Anderson, has particular meaning for the actor. What will you take
away from this role that will remain with you?

C.G. I didn't anticipate the very real positive impact that this fictional
man has had, and will continue to have. I'm so proud of how we've been able
to reflect, with Auggie, the capability and humanity of not just the blind
community, but the disabled veteran community as well.

I'm very active in social media and have received hundreds of messages of
support and thanks from veterans and their families. Some of those words
will stay with me forever.

M.D. Do you have any words for our readers who (along with their family
members and friends) are dealing with vision loss every day?

C.G. You stand up and move forward when others would lie down and give up. I
don't know the strength you have. I can promise you that I do everything in
my power to honor you, and yours, with my work on Covert Affairs.

M.D. And finally, on US Veterans' Day, is there anything you'd like to say
to our veterans who have lost their sight due to combat injuries?

C.G. I hope that we make you proud. I hope that, by portraying a disabled
veteran as a strong, smart, capable, even sexy (!) member of his fictional
community, we're honoring the very real roles you play in your very real
homes, neighborhoods and careers. You are our heroes.

We thank Christopher Gorham for his support of VisionAware [1] and urge you
to watch Covert Affairs, which began Season Three (congratulations!) on
November 1, 2011. You can also watch full episodes online at the Covert
Affairs web site [2]. All photos courtesy of USA Network.

Where you can find Christopher Gorham online:

Sherri Brun
flmom2006 at gmail.com
Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one
is paying attention.
 NFBF Newsline® chair
www.nfbnewsline.org
E-mail:  newsline at nfbflorida.org
Secretary FDCP INC
www.fdcp.org
Vice-president National Federation of the Blind of Florida Greater Orlando
Chapter
http://nfbfgoc.org
Chair Orange County Disability Advisory Board