[Nfbf-l] Finally moved in

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 8 14:35:57 UTC 2012

Dear Joe and Jessica,

Your county is a very long one and thin.
They, the transit authority, may not like to transport people long distances
because they don't have the vehicles to do so.
Therefore, they make it hard for you to get it or use it.  They do this for
their convenience and not yours.
They likely provide service under the Florida Transportation Disadvantaged
Program, which allows them to make some of their own rules.
These rules can be changed.
Joe and you likely need to get involved in the transit boards and attend the
transit meetings where you can speak up for yourselves and others like you.
TD funds are suppose to allow service over the entire county, not just part.
The county likely put no money into the program other than what they get
from the TD program.
If there is a fixed route bus system, then they must, under the ADA, provide
Para-transit services, within 3/4 mile either side of the fixed route bus
route, as a crow flys, not just the closest bus stop.

You will need to learn the rules and how they apply and then use them.
ADA service is limited to just the area, within 3/4 miles of a bus route,
but TD is not.   Both of these systems can be expanded, but it takes money
and political will.
Jessica, you mentioned that you would have to walk 3 miles to get to the
bus.  Not entirely true.  You would have to get yourself to within 3/4 mile
of the fixed route buses route.  That is some place that is that close such
as a store, a church a school or someplace with a street address.  Then they
can pick you up there.
You both picked a place to live that has poor transit services, but those
services can be changed, over time.  We did it here in Palm Beach County.
You must go to your county commissioners and complain in a constructive
manner.  Help them to find logical solutions to the funding issues such as
more dedicated funding sources a penny from the local gas taxes, a half cent
sales tax or some other source.
There is likely allot of unemployed people in your area now and they may
need transport to look for jobs and to reach employment or job training.
Someone needs to be your advocate, so why not you.
That was what I faced, what I became here and how I got the job I have now.

David Evans and GD Jack.