[Nfbf-l] Media access: cable/sattelite providers v. broadcast stations

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 20:08:08 UTC 2012

Good day.

I thought David Evans made some interesting points in favor of NFB having an
Internet station, either on this list or NFB-TALK, I forget which earlier
today.  There is something to be said for operating in that kind of
unrestricted or loosely restricted environment.

What I'm about to discuss may not seem like a blindness issue at first, but
it can affect our advocacy and relations with our communities.

For over a week now Bright House cable and the owners of WESH-TV have been
in a corporate food fight over money that has resulted in denial of service
to the central Florida community.  Corporate bureaucrats are defining for us
our media choices, and it's not right.

While these entities are allowed to make profits, they are supposed to be
providing a public service under trustee privileges and responsibilities
given to them by our government.

Yesterday and today I've been sending messages out to nearly everyone I can
think of to let my feelings on this be known.  I've written emails to Sen.
Nelson, the FCC, our Volusia County chair, Bright House, WESH, Hardball with
Chris Matthews, and a letter to the editor at the News-Journal.  This may
also prompt a call to the White House comment line.

You may argue there are multiple media sources to choose from, and those in
favor of massive deregulation certainly will.  Six months or a year from
now, it could be another station here or one in your community that is
affected in this manner.  Even now there is one of these disputes between
Direct TV and Viacom, so switching providers will not make you immune from
these abuses.  A line has to be drawn somewhere.  Some space must be
reserved for the public good.

To paraphrase the old movie line, "We're mad as hell, and we're not going to
take this any more."

William H. "Bill" Outman

Secretary, Greater Daytona Beach Chapter