[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: Senate Foreign Relations Committee votes Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities favorably out of committee.

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 04:06:14 UTC 2012

American Association of People with DisabilitiesHere's the article pasted
below and then the original message. Blind and disabled people of the world
have taken a step forward.

Sherri

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -Martin Luther King,
Jr.

Twenty-two years ago, the ADA was signed into law. It is the first
comprehensive civil rights law for people with disabilities in the world. As
we celebrate this leap forward for disability rights, the Senate Foreign
Relations Committee took a step toward a national commitment to equality all
around the world.

The Committee voted the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons
with Disabilities (CRPD) favorably out of committee and to the full Senate,
where it will need a 2/3 vote for ratification. CRPD is a necessary
commitment to justice everywhere.  There are still millions around the world
who live in deplorable conditions as a result of their disability. Injustice
knows no borders, nor does our ongoing struggle for it.  This is our fight;
it's our mission.

Some people oppose CRPD. They say that it will threaten US sovereignty,
interfere with families' rights to educate our children, and open the door
to a number of unintended consequences.  We know better. This is about
spreading the promise the ADA started here.  CRPD does not compromise
American values-it is a commitment to spread the freedoms we cherish to our
brothers and sisters around the world.

The Senate has an opportunity to ensure justice everywhere. It's a
commitment to full employment and respect for human dignity.  We have an
opportunity to light the way for our senators.  We must.

Contact your senators and tell them to VOTE YES on the CRPD!!

of Persons with Disabilities favorably out of committee.

      Can't view this message? Read it online.

            Mark's Weekly Message
            Twenty-two years ago, the ADA was signed into law. It is the
first comprehensive civil rights law for people with disabilities in the
world. As we celebrate this leap forward for disability rights, the Senate
Foreign Relations Committee took a step toward a national commitment to
equality all around the world.

            >>>Read more

            Your help is needed now to make the National Forum on Disability
Issues a precedent-setting success!
            >>>Read more

            Senate Foreign Relations Committee votes Convention on the
Rights of Persons with Disabilities favorably out of committee.
            Washington, DC - On the 22nd anniversary of the landmark passage
of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Chairman John Kerry and the Senate
Foreign Relations Committee passed a resolution of advice and consent to
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Treaty Doc. 112-7).
The resolution was amended and passed by a strong bi-partisan vote of 13 to
6.

            >>>Read more

            At ADA anniversary, workers with disabilities are
disproportionately affected by unemployment.
            That was the subject of much attention today on the 22nd
anniversary of the signing of the Americans With Disabilities Act. During
the recession, disabled workers were hit five times as hard as other workers
when it came to losing their jobs. People with disabilities have also had
more trouble finding new jobs during the recovery.

            >>>Read more

            Delaware governor and National Governors' Association chair Jack
Markell discusses an initiative to promote employment for people with
disabilities.
            >>>Watch video

            Blind South Korean archer sets first Olympic world record.
            Im Dong Hyun is legally classified as blind and cannot see out
of his right eye, but it did not stop the two-time gold medalist bettering
his own leading 72-arrow score in the qualification competition at Lord's
cricket ground in the British capital.

            >>>Read more

              Forward to a Friend | Manage My Profile | Unsubscribe | Donate

            American Association of People with Disabilities
            2013 H Street NW, 5th Floor | Washington, DC 20006

nonprofit software