[Nfbf-l] Amtrak info for convention, all aboard!

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri May 4 15:57:23 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I was asked to send out an email about transportation to the state
convention via Amtrak. I'm including some very basic information here, in
case there are those who have not taken the train before.

If you decide to go by train, you need to make your reservations for
Deerfield Beach. From there, you take a local Tri-Rail train. The Tri-Rail
station is located in the Amtrak station, and there will be personnel there
to help you with purchasing your ticket and catching the northbound train to
Boca Raton. Purchasing tickets is done through an automated machine, but
David Evans assures me it's quite accessible. The Embassy Suites has a free
shuttle, so if you give them a call while on the short Tri-Rail ride to
Boca, they will send a shuttle to pick you up at the Boca Tri-Rail station,
which is right across the street from the hotel. It's certainly walkable,
but if you have alot of luggage, you just might welcom that shuttle service!
The hotel shuttle does not serve the Amtrak station in Deerfield Beach.

Of course you can take a taxi, but I was quoted a fare of about $20 by
Yellow Cab. If you are signed up with paratransit, you can transfer your
eligibility and be picked up at the Amtrak station.

In case you don't have the Amtrak reservations number, it's 1 (800)
872-7245. You can make your reservation by phone with a credit card, then
you'll pick up your tickets at the station on the day you depart. You also
have the option of purchasing tickets online at www.amtrak.com
Remember that there are disability or senior citizens discounts of 15
percent, so be sure to take advantage of them. Children ages 2 through 15
ride for half the full fare.

Southbound trains 91 (The Silver Star) and 97 (The Silver Meteor) stop at
the Deerfield Beach station. I'm not going to list all the cities each
serves, as you probably know if yours is one of them. Suffice it to say that
train 91 arrives in Deerfield Beach at 4:53, while 97 arrives at 5:39. That
hopefully means that you'll be at the hotel in time for Friday night
activities and fun.

On Monday, May 28, the convention will adjourn before noon, so those taking
the train can get to the station on time. the Silver Star northbound, train
92, departs at 12:48. Unfortunately, the northbound Silver Meteor, train 98,
departs at 9:18 Am.

Transportation by van from the hotel to the train station for those taking
the Silver Star or Greyhound is being arranged. We need to know how many
persons wish to take advantage of this service. So please let David Evans
know this at your earliest convenience. His contact information is below.

David Evans
email drevans at bellsouth.net
phone (561) 789-2488

I hope this info has been helpful. Enjoy that train ride, and we'll see you
in Boca!

Sherrill O'Brien