[Nfbf-l] 2012-04 Dining in the Dark Resolution Info

Toni King tkk at samobile.net
Mon Sep 17 16:31:10 UTC 2012

Hello,
I do not think you should judge all who put on a dining in the dark
event by this one article.
I am visually impaired and i also have attended and assisted with the
DID event put on by the lighthouse in Tallahassee and let me tell you
what good has come from this event.
First I will address the comment about the general public assuming we
do not have good manners. Well when the lights come up and the sighted
get to look around they learn that they are the ones with poor eating
skills. They have food on their clothes, the floor, table etc while the
blind and visually impaired do not. They are also the ones who were
unable to eat until the lights came back on while we had finished our
meal enjoying every bite.
We have been able to show and inn form hundreds of people about what it
really means to be blind or visually impaired.
we have also enlighten and educated doctors, nurses, so so many in the
medical field and taught them the importance of vision rehabilitation
and developed sound working relationships with them so when their
patience need our services they are happy to tell the person about the
services available and submit referrals so this person can get the
assistance to regain their independence.
We would never imply the blind can not cook or do anything else they
set their minds to.
Condemning all who have offered a DID event for the actions of others
to me is wrong and one sided.

i just thought I would share my two cents not that it will matter at all.
Sincerely,
Toni King

--
Check out my blog
www.samobile.net/users/tkk/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life
is either a daring adventure or nothing.
   Helen Keller, The Open Door (1957)