[Nfbf-l] The Race for a "Cure for Blindness"!

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 2 06:24:30 UTC 2013

Dear Friends,

Yes, a Race for a Cure for Blindness!

I have been watching the three horses on the track for 20 years now!

Horse #1 - Stem Cell Therapy

Horse #2 - Gene Therapy

Horse #3 - A Technical Solution

After studying every article I could possibly get my hands on during the past 20 years, I am totally convinced that Horse #3, a "Technical Solution" is coming down  the straight away, headed toward the finish line, and the other horses are not even finished turning the first corner of the track!

Dozens and dozens of companies are betting on Horse #3, and although some are using similar technology, many are approaching the "Race" from different angles.

Although I am sure many of the people involved in "Finding a Cure",  researchers, Scientists, Doctors, PhD's, highly skilled technicians, etc., etc.,  Aare thinking in terms of doing humanity a fantastic service in Helping the Blind and "finding a cure "  but of course the financial rewards will be staggering!

Many are aware that the company that created ", the bionic ear", Cochlear Ltd. (COH) Melbourne, Australia, has now made over $4 billion   and still basically just started.

Likewise, the company that finds a "Technical solution" for Blindness will make Billions of dollars, perhaps hundreds of billions of dollars!

Here is some information about researchers that are looking at the "Cure" from a different approach!

Not retinal implants, not computer chips implanted in the Visual Cortex of the brain, but earphones and a camera that turns light pixels into sound, creating a "sound language" that blind can learn and use to see.

I would very much recommend you listen to this presentation from these researchers who are using the sound technology approach.

Remember, just one of dozens and dozens of types of technology in "The Race"!

With Best Regards,

Alan

Miami, Florida

adventures in sensory substitution
In 2010, two sighted experimental audio artists, Myroslaw Bytz and Nick Heling, did a presentation based on use of The vOICe at the Megapolis event in Baltimore. The MP3 file of their presentation is now online at the direct URL

http://megapolisfestival.org/archive/2010/sightseeing.mp3

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winvoice.htm