[Nfbf-l] Seeing Eye Cat Helps His Owner Adjust to Being Blind

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 17 03:57:44 UTC 2013

Dear Friends,
This is a cute story.  I would never think of a cat being able to do this.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida
Seeing Eye Cat Helps His Owner Adjust to Being Blind
When Robert Sollars of Mesa, Arizona went blind in 2003, Sollars' cat,
Admiral K'reme, became his seeing-eye cat, helping his owner adjust to his
new life.
Sollars, a security consultant, says his loss of sight is due to diabetic
retinopolophy and came upon him quickly. Once his doctor had diagnosed his
condition, Sollars and his wife began finding ways to adjust to their new
reality.
The Admiral quickly joined in to help. He established himself as Sollars'
"Guardian Kitty," guiding him around the house and helping him navigate.
The Admiral would watch and anticipate where Sollars was headed "just like a
good wide receiver would," Sollars chuckles. Then, the cat would run to  the
anticipated spot and meow until Sollars found his way.
"When I'd get up in the middle of the night, he'd follow me through the
house, 'yelling' at me until I got back in bed," Sollars remembers with a
laugh. Although losing his sight was traumatic, Sollars says, "It was
comforting to have the Admiral with me."
Now 10 years later, Sollars is completely adjusted to life without his
eyesight, but Admiral K'reme still takes his job as protector and guardian
very seriously. He sleeps by the front door at night and worries about
Sollars when he leaves the house. "If I take out the garbage or go get  the
mail, he'll meow meow meow until I'm back inside," Sollars says.
Sollars runs his security consulting business from home and is even  working
on a book right now, using a special word processing program. The
15-year-old Admiral is still right there by his side "helping" him, by
sitting on Sollars' keyboard or squeezing beside him on the chair.
When the Admiral isn't protecting Sollars or helping him work, he's keeping
Sollars abreast of how the pair's favorite football team, the Cincinnati
Bengals, is doing. "Every Sunday he gets in the chair with me to watch them
play football. If they start doing poorly, he'll leave the room. Then later,
he'll come back to the chair to finish watching the game with me!"
- - -