[Nfbf-l] latest Caring Bridge entry for Jim Ellsworth

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 03:30:11 UTC 2013

I am passing along this update. If you guys would like to post, please go to
the mobile site. It's easier. http://m.caringbridge.org/

Here's the update.

a.. Moffitt Update
Written 4 hours ago

Hi friends and family,

Sorry for the delay in updating. We had labs and a visit with Dr. Sotomayor
when we received the unsurprising news of admittance last night. We were
told that we would receive a phone call when our room was ready so we opted
to go have dinner at Chili's and found dad a new Otterbox case for his
iPhone at University Mall. We came back to Moffitt since we hadn't heard
from them and waited around for another good 4 hours before finally
receiving word that the room is ready. We got up here and settled around
930-10pm and were told chemo would begin at midnight. This is our first stay
at Moffitt so Kim and I decided to stay here until all was underway and we
could meet his tech and nurse for the evening. Kim and I left around 12:30
this morning and were back around 11.

Dad had a touch of nausea in which the nurse gave an extra dose of
medication this morning. His color is a bit rough and his hemoglobin level
is at 8.7. Usually by this point we are headed to the infusion center for a
transfusion so it's a bit odd for us to not have heard one was going to
happen. The nurse last night estimated he would be able to be discharged
either late Thursday night or Friday depending on what works better for us.
Dad seems to like the food better than at St. A's and overall is in fairly
good spirits although very tired. It's so funny the different protocols here
vs FL Cancer. There are some things they get up in arms about that the team
in St. Pete doesn't, but I digress.

The chemo is given every 12 hours and on the last day he will be given the
other two drugs prior to discharge. It's been midnight and noon and we are
about to go into bag 3 of cyclophosphamide tonight. It does look like we are
back into having to go to appointments three or so times per week. They very
heavily monitor blood counts here and we will have to go in twice a week on
top of the Rituxan regiment and Neulasta injections.

He just finished dinner and Kim and I showered him with Moon Pie's today
from Cracker Barrel so he was one happy camper. For anyone looking, he is in
room 418, but he has mentioned that it is hard to text or talk because there
is always someone coming in to change a bag or take vitals.

Jennifer