[Nfbf-l] eSight Eyewear: Bringing Sight to People with Low Vision

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 29 15:39:03 UTC 2013

Dear Friends,
Passing this along.
I myself have not gone to the web site, as I do not have "Low Vision", I have Light perception only.
I do not think this could help me, nor it might not help you, but perhaps you know someone it might.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida

Hi listers. I found this article in the Matilda Ziegler magazine.

Feature Writer Alena Roberts - eSight Eyewear: Bringing Sight to People with Low Vision

There are a number of devices that are designed for people with low
vision, but none of them are specifically designed for the end user.
Glasses can be a great benefit to some, but for others, glasses don't
end up enhancing the usable vision. After watching his two sisters
lose their vision to Stargardt disease, Conrad Lewis decided to find a
way for people with low vision to utilize the vision they had. What he
created is called eSight Eyewear, a set of glasses that uses a camera
and two LCD screens that project the image from the camera onto the
eye.

One of the benefits of eSight is that it's customized for the user.
The company is training eye care professionals to work with the end
user to make sure that the camera is going to be effective for the
kind of vision the user has. The customization includes changing
contrast, zoom, and color preferences. According to the FAQ, eSight is
best suited for people who have, "Macular Degeneration, Stargardt
Disease, Ocular Albinism, Diabetic Retinopathy, Leber's Disease,
Cone-Rod Dystrophy and other low vision conditions." The device works
best for those with an acuity of 20/40 and 20/400 with a field of more
than 15%. This Youtube video highlights three people who are
benefiting from eSight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CgxJ6SWSx0

If you feel like eSight may benefit you, there are a number of eye
care clinics that can work with you. Most of them are in Canada, but
the plan is to have trained professionals throughout North America.
This page gives a list of all the clinics that are available at this
time: http://www.esighteyewear.com/esight-eyewear

I think that this is a very exciting new device and my hope is that it
will end up benefiting many people. I can even think of students that
I work with now that would benefit from this technology.