[Nfbf-l] Blind motor cyclist Stuart Gunn breaks world speed record at167.1mph

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 2 02:47:02 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,
And, this guy's somewhat physically disabled as well - see article content
etc. below.
- -
A biker who's blind to fear: Sightless daredevil reaches 167mph on
motorcycle

Sunday 18 Aug 2013 9:59 pm

Ride of pride: Stuart celebrates after breaking record (Picture: Ross Parry)

Every corner's a blind bend for this motorcyclist.

But Stuart Gunn's inability to see where he's going has not prevented him
from
setting a new world speed record.

He became the fastest blind and disabled biker on the planet after hitting
167.1mph on Saturday.

His father, Geoff, rides alongside him and uses an intercom system to tell
him
if he is drifting off course or needs to brake.

'I hope this proves to people that just because you are blind or have a
disability, doesn't mean it should change or limit your life,' said Stuart,
from
Edinburgh.
This record-breaker is zooming along at 167mph. and he can't see a thing
(Picture: Ross Parry)
'I have ridden for years with my dad and so it worked really well.'

The 39-year-old broke his back in two places, shattered several ribs and his
shoulder and was paralysed across the right side of his body in a horror
road
accident 11 years ago.

But he fought back to regain some feeling in his right arm and eventually
conquered the challenge of climbing back on his bike.

Mr Gunn battled crosswinds to beat the previous fastest time of 164mph at
Elvington Airfield in North Yorkshire.

'I'm absolutely ecstatic and I don't think the news has quite sunk in,' he
said.

Source URL:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/18/a-biker-whos-blind-to-fear-sightless-daredevil-reaches-167mph-on-motorcycle-3928986/