[Nfbf-l] NFB: fundamentals of blindness

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed Jun 18 09:41:31 UTC 2014

Jordan,
	I realize that many who are not familiar with the NFB have some
preconceived notions about who we are and what we stand for. I am of the
opinion that these myths and misconceptions are promulgated by those in
whose best interests it is to tell such untruths. The reality is that the
NFB does have some very strong, independent individuals who strive to make
their lives and the lives of other blind people better through a positive
understanding that blindness is one of many characteristics we possess. We
believe that blindness is only one of those characteristics and is not
necessarily the one that defines us. We believe it is our personal
responsibility to obtain the proper training that will allow us to make our
own way in the world and that a fundamental shift in consciousness is the
essential element for living the life we all want and deserve. We are not
all superblind; we are simply blind people living our hopes and dreams like
every other individual, bound and determined to not let blindness stand in
the way of achieving our dreams.

	We do not look down on those who have not yet discovered the truth
about themselves as blind people. In fact, we seek them out to share the
liberating message of our beliefs and put our philosophy into practical
application. For the most part, we are not arrogant, egotistical individuals
who care little about others; we are passionate, caring individuals working
diligently to make the lives of the blind better.

	It is my personal passion to share this belief with anyone who will
listen and accept this truth for themselves. The paradigm shift is not
instantaneous; it is a process - a path to follow. The fact of my process is
that I am not yet there nor do I believe I will ever get there. Once I
achieve a goal, my goal changes to something higher. I am on a journey that
really has no end, filled with excitement and adventure.

	Along my path, I have met others, both blind and sighted who say I
am extraordinary. I do not believe I am extraordinary as a blind person; I
believe this statement is based upon the stereotypical way others expect a
blind person to be. Since I do not fit into the stereotype, I am
extraordinary. My affiliation with the national Federation of the blind has
demonstrated the falsity of the stereotype and the truth of the Federation's
philosophy.

	It is unfortunate that you will not be able to attend convention.
When you do have the opportunity, it will be the life-changing experience it
is for everyone who attends. There you will see blind people helping other
blind people stretch and grow. You will find blind people showing other
blind people a better white cane and a better way to use it. You will find
blind people teaching other blind people Braille and telling them that, even
if they only learn the basics, it is another skill that affords them a
little more independence. You will find blind people sharing with other
blind people how they perform the jobs many think are out of reach for the
blind and instilling hope and confidence. You will find blind people helping
other blind people and this is not the way those who are portrayed by those
who say we are radical, self-serving, arrogant, and egotistical behave. This
is because we are not those people!

	I am open and available to chat, if you wish. You can reach me by
email or you are welcome to give me a call. My contact information is below
my signature.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
(888) 624-3841 (Hotline)
President at nagdu.org
http://www.nagdu.org

High expectations create unlimited potential for the blind!