[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Re: [NFBF-Leaders] picking and choosing NFB policies and constitutional requirements

Toni King tkk at samobile.net
Fri May 2 12:35:42 UTC 2014

Hi,
Okay I am just catching this thread so only responding to Mr. Evans comments.
I am assuming  it was said we should not say " I miss driving"
I am a skilled well adjusted visually impaired person.  I do any thing
I want to do and tell everyone there is nothing you can not do without
sight. That being said there are still times I miss driving mostly when
I am some where and want to leave like NOW!

I miss seeing my grandson's faces.  Now these moments are fewer  and
only pop up now and then, but they do cross my mind from time to time.
This does not mean I am not accepting my loss of sight, nor does it
mean I am still trying to live in the sighted world.

Do you not miss a love one or friend who has passed on?  If you
answered yes then why would it be so strange to state you miss
something you could do when you had sight?
We have lost a part of us so missing it from time to time is a normal
and natural feeling.

I have heard people say those who were born without sight can not miss
what they never had.  I am not sure I agree with that statement.  I
know they can grieve over not being able to drive, get their license
when their friends did. Many times their not allowed to do what their
friends or siblings are able to do.
so instead of missing  doing something they experience a longing.

The goal is to be well adjusted and to except  where we are and to
learn how to do anything we want sight or not.

I am very pleased with my life and I have a full and active one.  My
moments of missing sight happen very very rarely now but to say this
never happens or to not allow yourself  those brief moments is in my
opinion not healthy.

Just my two cents worth.
Toni

--
Check out my blog
www.samobile.net/users/tkk/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life
is either a daring adventure or nothing.
   Helen Keller, The Open Door (1957)

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras