[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Re: [NFBF-Leaders] picking and choosing NFB policies and constitutional requirements

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Fri May 2 13:25:22 UTC 2014

Well said, Toni.  Why do you think we shouldn't say 'I miss driving.'?  I
know how you feel, I miss driving, too.  And I don't have a problem
admitting it.  Losing certain activities, abilities; we all have to go
through the grieving process, just like when we lose someone we love.

And it is a process...not something that goes away overnight.  Slowly as the
years go by, it gets easier but it doesn't go away.  I dream that I am
driving...in those dreams, I am so afraid the cops are going to catch me
without my driver's license.  I can see clearly and know where I am going.
One time, I dreamed I was driving a semi, I have never driven one in my life
but I was up above the road so high I could see for miles.  We don't lose
the ability to drive, just because we lost our eyesight or progressively
losing it.

However, I do have to say this, I had the opportunity to continue driving
when I was first diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa but I chose not to
continue to drive because I am a very cautious person.  I had a five year
son to think about, I was a single mother, working full time...I had to ask
myself, would he be safe?  Would others on the road be safe?   Would I be
safe if I continued to drive?  I didn't want to hurt anyone and I certainly
didn't want to hurt myself.  Continuing to drive while having vision loss is
dangerous.  I didn't want to have to face myself after I had unintentionally
hurt someone because I refused to give up driving.  I don't think I could
have done that...if you have a vision problem, what happens if a child
accidentally runs out into the street chasing a ball?  Would you be able to
see if if you have peripheral field loss?  Then there are those who have
central vision loss or distorted vision and can only see a portion of the
road, is it safe to drive when in that situation?  Common sense and logic
would say 'no'; sometimes we have to let go in order to grow.

That is my opinion.  And here is a thought, too,  I do have to admit that if
I had to choose being visual or being blind, I would choose visual.  This is
a visual world and it isn't easy to clearly understanding the visual
information that is needed when you can't see it.  Plus having hearing
problems on top of it, makes it even harder.  BUT, I choose to learn and do
all I can to help myself, advocate to find the right resources for my
specific needs and I share with others so they can grow, too.

It is okay to say 'I don't like it", It is okay to say 'I miss driving'...,
it is what you do about your situation  that counts.

Stay strong and know that you are not alone!
(smile)
Darlene