[Nfbf-l] Don choosingNFB policies and constitutional requirements

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Fri May 2 17:34:19 UTC 2014

Yes, Don, you are right!  We should be very proud of all we do.  Actually, I
live in a rural community That has limited transportation services.   The
bus runs Monday through Friday from 7:45 am till 3 pm.  They do have a a
paratransit but that is only used for medical services and if you are on
Medicaid.  Last year, I with several others who are visually impaired formed
a focus group called Eye on Accessibility so we could get some reesources.
WE found a cab company that is willing to give a discount rate and go where
the paratransit won't go.  We are in the process of creating a budy system
to have those who want to volunteer their services to help to sign up.  We
are also bringing awareness in the community as the local newspaper is
printing an article that I write once a month to educate the community on
vision and hearing.  Today, I met with the local Emergency Operations
manager to determine how I can participate in the annual disaster exercise
so that the emergency personnel and medical personnel can be educated on the
needs for those who are blind and/or deaf.  I have several who are part of
the EoA group who want to participate, too.

I grew up hearing impaired and visual...so when I began to lose my vision, I
didn't know anything about blindness.  I didn't even recognize myself as
deaf because I felt that as long as I could hear I wasn't deaf...yep, a big
misconception on my part.  So I figured that if I didn't know, then they
have to many others out there who don't know either...so I do what I can to
educate.  It is my responsibility to make sure that my environment, my
community is safe and it is very important that we approach leadership and
those that matter in the community and be proactive so those who didn't
know, will know.

Have a Fabulous Friday!!

(smile)
Darlene