[Nfbf-l] U.S. Braile Chess Association, sends Representative to an International Blind Chess Tournament in Greece

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sat May 3 05:37:08 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,
The U. S. Braile Chess Association, of which I am currently Vice President
sent a Representative to an International Blind Chess Tournament in Greece.
I thought some would be interested, as we have not done this in over 30
years.
With Best Regards,
God Bless
Alan
Plantation, Florida
Alan Dicey, Vice President
"Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess!"
United States Braille Chess Association Home Page:
 http://AmericanBlindChess.org

This blog is about the 2014 World Chess Championship for Blind Players from
the perspective of me, Alex Barrasso, the first U.S. representative at this
event in over 30 years.  I will post results daily beginning May 5, and will
certainly post an entry when we arrive at the event on May 4. Between now
and then, I may not be able to post much.

In late January 2014, President of the U.S. Braille Chess Association
(USBCA) Al Pietrolungo contacted me to ask if I would be willing to
represent the U.S. at this year's World Championship for Blind Players!
What a tremendous opportunity!  I jumped at the chance!  The tournament gets
underway one week from today.

The World Championship for Blind Players is organized every four years by
the International Braille Chess Association.  This year, it takes place near
Katerini, Greece from May 4-15, and is being co-organized by the Hellenic
Sport Federation for People With Disabilities.  So far, there are over 100
players registered for the event from over 30 countries.  The tournament
consists of nine games - one each day beginning on May 5, with an off day on
May 10.  In each game, each player has 2 hours to make the first 40 moves
and an additional hour for the rest of the game - potentially a total of 6
hours for each game.  Medals will be awarded to the top 3 finishers.

So, after a 30+ year absence, how did we manage to send a competitor to this
year's tournament?  Getting here was certainly a roller coaster ride full of
surprises, but we pulled it off.  As I mentioned earlier, the journey
started in late January.  Of course, participating in an event like this is
not free of charge.  So we set to work immediately fundraising.  The first
step was to create an Athlete Development Account through the USBCA's
partnership with the U.S. Association of Blind Athletes. This account allows
the USBCA to receive tax deductible donations to support competitive
opportunities for blind chess players. Hopefully, this tournament will be
the beginning of bigger things to come for the USBCA. We hope to participate
regularly in U.S. Chess Federation events and to send a team to the 2016
Olympiad for Blind Players.
But I digress. Back to fundraising for this year's event. The first donor
was Bruce Leverett, who kicked things off with a very generous $1,000
contribution and secured contributions from other individuals. Bruce has
also provided invaluable guidance and advice along the way by helping me
analyze games and choose a guide/coach for the event. A former colleague of
mine, Jacquie Kubicki, also played a big part in our fundraising efforts by
getting the word out on social media, resulting in several contributions. Of
course, I owe a big debt of gratitude to my wife Brenda, who contacted
friends and family to encourage them to contribute. She has also tolerated
my absence as a husband and father while I spend hours preparing for the
tournament and arranging logistics. But undoubtedly, the most touching
highlight on the fundraising front are the efforts of U.S. Embassy Prague's
Foreign Service National Committee. This is a group composed exclusively of
representatives of the Embassy's Czech employees.  When the Committee heard
about my participation in the tournament, its members decided to fundraise
for me. They organized a bake sale on March 31. Have you ever heard of a
one-hour-long bake sale that raised $888? I never had and probably never
will again, but on March 31, that is exactly what happened. Committee
members and others donated baked goods and sold them in the Embassy lobby.
After just over an hour, the proceeds totaled $888. What a boost! Thank you
also to the U.S. Chess Federation for pledging $500 toward the endeavor.

So, who am I, and who is the guide I mentioned earlier? I have been playing
chess for 30 years. I started competing in events for the blind back in
1992. I also played against sighted opponents. I live in Prague with my wife
Brenda and our daughter, where I work at the U.S. Embassy. You can read more
in this article published in Chess Life On-Line Magazine. Thanks to author
Bruce Leverett, and to the Magazine's editor Jennifer Shahade for taking an
interest in the story.

And my guide? His name is TK Khaw. I met him while working in Singapore,
where we spent lots of time with our favorite pastime. Thank you again to my
wife Brenda for suggesting him as a guide. I have no doubt that he will do a
fantastic job.

My goals for the tournament our modest. Looking at the list of competitors,
I am ranked 88. I certainly hope to finish higher than that, but only time
will tell whether that happens. With such a strong field, finishing near the
top is a tall order even though I have won the U.S. Championship for Blind
Players multiple times. The mere fact that the U.S. is competing at this
event is an achievement in itself - hopefully one on which we can build and
that will help us get more USBCA members interested in playing more
over-the-board tournaments.
Alex's blog from the 2014 World Blind Chess Championship

All:

As you know, the IBCA individual championship kicks off tomorrow.  For those
who want to track my progress, I have set up a blog at
http://www.alexwbcc14.wordpress.com.

I will post something daily beginning tomorrow.  The first round is on
Monday.  I am ranked 88 on the wall chart, and am therefore likely to be
playing the 36th ranked player in the first round.  There is already one
post on the blog recapping the lead-up to the event.  Thank you to the USBCA
for this tremendous opportunity.

Alex