[Nfbf-l] "when will we hear the words of the Matilda Ziegler again?"

Alan Dicey via Nfbf-l nfbf-l at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 16:44:20 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,
I really did appreciate this fine magazine, I believe many of we the Blind
and Visually Impaired came to rely on receiving it each week.
It was very nice to find it in our "In Box".
I was wondering how hard it would be to start up such a magazine?
A Weekly Electronic Magazine for the Blind.
Creating Braille copies make such a venture, financially risky, unless
supported by sponsors, and then still  is a bit complicated, but a simple
electronic format sounds easy enough in my mind's eye.
Anyone have any comments, please write me at:
adicey at bellsouth.net
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida

Writers Devoted Our Time to You
            by Karen Crowder

The Ziegler magazine has been appreciated by the blind since the early 1900s
Its articles engaging and informing readers around the globe.
For over one hundred years, it graced homes and schools It arrived each
month, in Braille, and later also audio formats
Audiences perusing Special Notices, Reader's Forum and the pen pal columns
Special Notices advertised summer camp cruises run by or for the blind.

Confident blind adults advertised their businesses, and books written by
blind authors
The Pen Pal column helped  link people across the globe
Reader's Forum was our community for expressing complaints and opinions;
we would share triumphs big and small
Intelligent commentary captivating every reader's attention.

In 2010 the Ziegler evolved in to a weekly online publication
Blind writers were hired to produce OP Ed and feature articles
We were honored to work writing for this magazine
It boosted our confidence and self-esteem
Every week we hoped to inform, enlighten or entertain blind audiences with
our writing
Every week we patiently devoted hours creating articles
We diligently researched topics and stories to delight our cherished
audience
Writers spent days writing and revising every article
Many late Sunday nights I would do final rewrites
Patiently finding the right words and sentences to express my ideas.
We Conscientiously sent articles to our editor for each Monday edition

On Monday January 6,  2014, without warning this marvelous publication went
into a hiatus
Sending ten writers in to the ranks of the unemployed
Face book or a blog will never erase the void left for thousands of readers
Many do not have computers and relied on the words of the Matilda Ziegler on
News line.

Our articles and columns delighted thousands of loyal fans
They now ask, "when will we hear the words of the Matilda Ziegler again?"

***