[Nfbf-l] Man gets bionic eye, sees family for first time in 10 years

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 24 22:23:05 UTC 2015

Man gets bionic eye, sees family for first time in 10 years

A Minnesota man saw his wife for the first time in 10 years - and most of
his grandchildren for the first time ever - after receiving a bionic eye at
the Mayo Clinic earlier this month, ValleyNewsLive.com reported.

Allen Zderad, 68, has retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative, genetic eye
disease that affects the part of the retina that translates light into
sight. The condition progressively stole the Forest Lake man's vision over
the course of his life.
Zderad uses a cane to walk and has leaned on his wife, Carmen Zderad, as his
sighted guide since losing his ability to see.

"Ten years," Zderad told Valley News Live of the last time he saw his wife,
"but I still kiss her with my eyes closed."

Zderad is the 15th person to receive the "Second Sight Argus II" retinal
prosthesis system, which the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for
implantation in January 2014. The technology reportedly took 25 years and an
estimated $300 to $500 million to develop.

Implanting the bionic eye involves the insertion of 60 electrodes into the
retina. Zderad's surgery took about three hours and, two weeks later, he can
now see with the artificial vision.

"It's a bionic eye - in every sense of the word. It's not a replacement for
the eyeball, but it works with interacting with the eye, Rayond Iezzi, the
Mayo Clinic retinal surgeon ophthalmologist who chose Zderad as the first
Minnesotan to receive the bionic eye, told Valley News Live.

"Mankind has been seeking to cure blindness for 2,000 years or more," Iezzi
added, "but only in the past quarter of a century have we had the
electronics and the packaging and all the other things come together to
build a retinal prosthesis that could restore sight to the blind."

The camera in Zderad's pair of glasses run on a camera pack that sends
information to the electrodes implanted in his retina. That process replaces
the damaged retinal cells and sends signals directly to the optic nerve,
according to Valley News Live. The device generates pixelated scenes of
mostly black and white images, but despite the less-than-perfect eyesight,
Zderad and his wife are grateful.

"His whole life, we have heard, 'Nothing can be done, nothing can be done.'
It's all we heard until now," Carmen Zderad said.

The success of the technology is just as meaningful for Zderad's 13-year-old
grandson Caleb, who has inherited the eye disease and faces loss of eyesight
without aid.

"He can succeed," Zderad said of his grandson. "He's defined not by his
limitations but by the ability God has given him. I hope he appreciates
that."

Iezzi is reportedly preparing to implant the device in a second patient and
researching whether the technology may be able to help patients with other
eye conditions such as glaucoma or soldiers who may have lost their eyes in
combat.

With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan