[Nfbf-l] This may come through again, I had sent through the wrong email address - Issues at SeaWorld and the Parks that was posted by National Office

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 2 14:38:41 UTC 2017

Good morning everyone:

As the National Convention gets closer it will be here in 7 to 8 days depending on when you are arriving, which could be earlier or later.

I was on Facebook yesterday, as saw a posting about SeaWorld Theme Parks and Resorts here in the Central Florida, I personally use Central Florida as a marking places, technically some of the theme parks are in Kissimmee and not an Orlando address, so Central Florida covers everything.

I noticed from the posting they were concerned of people being denied access to the SeaWorld Entertainment Theme Parks, which consist of SeaWorld; Aquatics (Water Theme Park); Discovery Cove (Animal Experience All Inclusive Theme Park) and Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL which is about 90 minutes away on a good day from the Rosen Shingle Creek, a lot of traffic to get their this time of the year.

In any case, I was very concerned on this subject that was posted, because:

  1.  I own and operate my own travel agency
  2.  I am a SeaWorld Certified Agency plus many others theme parks resorts, and Visit Orlando Certified Travel Agency as well
  3.  We send many, many blind people to these theme parks, most recently a couple who are from the NFB of Maine, who went here last year and did the trainer for the day experiences at both Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens
  4.  More recently, Nelson, who is my husband and partner in the business, and myself are always here whether with other travel professionals on special events like just recently on June 27th, travel professionals from the state of Florida were invited to the Night Time Show Spectacular which is only opened from Mid June through this year August 5, 2017. We have never had any issues.

My inside team and the upper management team with SeaWorld Entertainment that has not only the theme parks and resorts here in the Central Florida area, but have them in Texas, California, Bush Gardens Williamsburg, VA and also Sesame Place in Pennsylvanis.

I am always posting photos, videos, reviews and more about these parks and others throughout all areas we visit, there are some places that do not make sense, but that is with everything.

99% of these theme parks you can go to that day and go to the Guest Services area of the Parks, and get assistance with what you need. I highly recommend though that if you cannot get around by yourself, which we are very independent people and we want to live the lives we want. But at the same time, if you are going to any place by yourselves or others who are blind, never been to the place and want someone to and ***NO OFFENSE HERE***; because even if I am going someplace without my husband which I do many times, I will ask if someone can meet with assistance or I will make sure I bring someone with me. Done this many times, but it is nice that Nelson is retired now and is also full time with me know to do all things with. I know I am trying to peel off the bandaid slowly here, but bring someone who can see with you, it will be difficult to do, and no one will take you around by the hand at the parks.

The other 1% is Discovery Cove, they only allow 1200 people per day period at this park, it is a crowd controlled environment; this is an all inclusive water animal interaction park, all food, entertainment, and drinks are included, there are 2 types of tickets the one with swimming with the dolphins that is at least a 30-45 minute experience with them, or you can get the ticket without the dolphin experience. They also have a trainer for the day experience which many of my clients go to, especially my blind clients.  More recently I had 2 members of  the NFB in Maine that went and did this, and it was the highlight of their trip.

You need to make a reservation for Discover Cove, they sell out for the summer fast. I was there in April and they were sold out for the summer, and I was only there because it was a travel professional event to give us the tour of what our clients will be doing. FYI, we have many travel agents throughout this country that are disabled, we are a big community, and many are here in the Florida area, those in scooters, wheelchairs, deaf, blind, etc. Plus I had recently mentioned that I have been asked to run as Director of NACTA - National Association of Career Travel Professionals for the Orlando area. It is a long process, I should know something be the end of  the summer.

They also have with Discovery Cove that when making your reservations for this park, to indicate if you have a disability, they have taken people with all disabilities whether or not you do the extras, and help you with everything from finding and using water jackets, finding your wet suites, assistance in the bathrooms, etc. You do not need to have someone sighted with you, you just need to indicate what disability you have, so that way they can coordinate with you what you can and cannot do, and they will not stop you from doing anything and trying everything.

So when saying they are denying you from something in this case, I am wondering what they were denying from, they don't even you enter the gates that the theme parks, and mind you, I go with my white cane and have used my guide dog a few times here as well at all of these parks, just to make sure I don't or my clients do not have any issues. Or was it that someone showed up to Discovery Cove and the park was full for the day, and they weren't allowing anyone in the park, because there was no reservations.

In any event, I had indicated that information to SeaWorld that I saw on Facebook, and are looking into it because like I said, they know me personally, especially if we work in the industry there a very few travel professionals who are blind, which is a same.

Take care, and if you have questions and concerns about a theme park, resort, etc, and not sure prior to going there, you do not have to book with you,  we would love it of course, but we will help you out with questions, and more.

Always check the websites of the parks and follow their rules, ADA Americans with Disabilities Act, that doesn't mean we shouldn't follow the rules as well.

Cheryl and Nelson Echevarria
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com<mailto:cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com>
407-910-6469 home number