[Nfbf-l] Introduction of myself Cheryl Echevarria and what I do and can help with in reference to Travel

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:33:11 UTC 2017

Good morning NFB of Florida family:

A little introduction on who I am, for those that know me and do not know me.

I was born with type 1 Diabetes and at the age of 35 back in 2001 I lost 75% of my vision to Diabetic Retinopathy; also due to complications I was on dialysis from 2002-2005 and now 12 years post non-related living donor Kidney Transplant.  After learning blindness skills and becoming independent again, I took my almost 20+ years of Administrative Skills I started in my father's office when I was 16,  and decided that I would go into the travel business, because there seemed to be no travel agents out there, that knew that us blind people can travel independently or with the assistance of others.

I have been an NFB member since 2006 originally from the Greater Long Island Chapter; where I held the position from Treasurer, Vice President and my recently when Lori Stayer was ill and passed away from Cancer, and the David Stayer was going through his own health issues I stepped in as President of the Long Island Chapter. I have also held positions on the board of NYAGDU as a board member, and also other positions within the state of NY.

In 2012, I was asked to run for President of the Travel and Tourism Division, by then President Don Gilmore and Milton Taylor who then was Treasurer. I was elected and held the position as president until 2016. There is no more Travel & Tourism Division on a National Level, there is a talk list and Committee but no division anymore. Not my decision, but some of you know the issues, the others, let's just leave sleeping dogs lie.

I am a lifetime member of the National Association of Blind Veterans, but I am not a veteran, I support veteran issues because I am a daughter of a Vietnam Veteran and a Proud Grandmother of a Grand Daughter who served in the Marines and who has recently retired to be a mother, yes now I am a great grandmother at the ripe old age of 50. She is actually my grand-daughter through marriage but still my grand-daughter, and now I have another grand-daughter her sister who has graduated College and going to Officer Training School in South Carolina. I have worked with the Vietnam Veterans and other Veteran Organizations from NY and here in Florida as well.

Some of you had read that I was recently asked to run from Chapter Director of NACTA of Orlando, I am still awaiting a decision and may take a couple of weeks for a final decision, since a board member is away with a group traveling Europe, and that person needs to be in on the conversation.

Within the NFB at National Convention and at State Convention in NY; as well as, other areas, I have worked diligently to make travel more understand able to the blind, and to educate those looking to go into this field of business, since many have a falsehood of what exactly is entailed, and that I have worked very hard, been on travel agent boards of many of the suppliers that you have heard of that have affected not only how blind people travel but other disabilities travel.

Also those not disabled.

Such as Norwegian Cruise Lines, who I had the head of the Access Department come to a National Convention, the CEO of Special Needs Group that does scooter rental, wheelchair rental, dietary issues, special beds and chairs; as well as all the guide dog relief requested boxes not only for the cruise lines but also for other forms of travel like hotels and all inclusive resorts.

Being President of the T&T Division, I became friends with the Access Manger of Walt Disney Theme Parks, Resorts and Cruise Lines, Mark Jones, so if you search the NFB.org website and search for me or travel and tourism especially past article of the Braille Monitor you will find out more.

I have recently sat on the Travel Agent Advisory Board of CLIA - Cruise Lines International Association, which many of the Cruise Lines that you know and some that you don't are part of.

Not saying everything has changed for us, but they are in the right direction, I am going to say that everything is going to be accessible either, but Carnival Cruise Lines was sued back in 2015 and was settled during the 25th Anniversary of the ADA, where they had to update all their cruise ships which not only include Carnival but also Princess, Celebrity, Holland American, Costa, and a few others, over 26 cruise ships to be updated.

Again, everything will not be full compliance, but that take time.

What I am trying to say that if you are interested in trips, such as groups, and going into this business because it is a lot of work and you need to travel and more, so much more. I am here to help.

Should you request anything, please reach out to me.

Sincerely,

Cheryl and Nelson Echevarria
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com<mailto:cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com>
407-910-6469 home number