[Nfbf-l] My Day At The Braille Challenge

Roanna Bacchus rbacchus228 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 14:31:07 UTC 2018

Dear Members,

I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend. Last Friday I volunteered at the 2018 East Florida Braille Challenge. I woke up at 5-00 Am showered and got dressed. By 6-30 my Dad and I were on our way to the Braille Challenge with some items that I donated to the Braille Book Fair. The day was filled with fun and exciting memories for the students. Each student received a golden chocolate bar in their goody bag. One of the Golden chocolate bars had a golden ticket and the winner of the ticket won a lifetime of braille. After the opening ceremonies I went to the kitchen where the other servers and I assisted with preparations for lunch. We had pasta, bread sticks, and salad donated from Olive Garden. They also provided plates, forks, napkins, knives, and spoons that were individually wrapped. After lunch, we ate some of the mint chocolates that were provided with the meal. In the afternoon we put out the snacks for the kids because they were hungry after the contests. During the closing award ceremonies, the students received Walmart gift cards for their participation in the competition. I also had the chance to interact with some of the vendors from companies such as Hims and Florida Reading And Vision Technology who provide products to blind people all around the state. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Roanna Bacchus