[Nfbf-l] NAC Resolution 2002

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Mon Mar 12 16:10:36 UTC 2018

Hello All,

On the heals of our 411 interest call, I thought this would ne s a great
resolution to share:

RESOLUTION 2002-1

Concerning FAASB Membership and NAC Accreditation

WHEREAS, there are many agencies that provide services to blind and visually
impaired Floridians and are also members of the Florida Association of
Agencies Serving the Blind (FAASB); and

WHEREAS, accreditation by or membership in the National Accreditation
Council for Agencies Serving the Blind and Visually Handicapped (NAC) is not
an indication of quality service by any agency or organization serving the
blind; and

WHEREAS, the Florida Division of Blind Services is no longer accredited by
NAC, but has admirably seen fit to obtain feedback on the quality of
services it provides, directly from its clients and the organized blind of
Florida; and

WHEREAS, over the past two decades, the influence NAC wields over the
blindness field has continued to be diminished, to the extent that the
majority of states do not  have even one NAC-accredited agency; and

WHEREAS, in spite of the above, one of the prerequisites for membership in
FAASB continues to be that the organization seeking membership be accredited
by NAC:  Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Convention of the Blind of Florida (NFBF), in
convention assembled, this twenty-seventh day of May, 2002, in the City of
Boca Raton, Florida,  that this organization continue to oppose actively NAC
and its meaningless, wasteful, and dangerous approach to accreditation; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED we strongly urge FAASB to immediately omit
accreditation by NAC as a condition of membership in its organization of
agencies serving the blind; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we urge FAASB to encourage its member agencies
to cease their dealings with NAC and to use any and all funds now spent on
NAC's meretricious accreditation to fund services to blind men, women, and
children in the state of Florida.