[Nfbf-l] 2018 State convention outline and registration form

Miranda Kilby mbkilby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 00:16:51 UTC 2018

Greetings Federation Family,

I hope you all are happy and well. Our state conventions are utilize
in numerous ways, from reuniting with friends, learning new materials,
and so much more. We hope that you are making plans to join us during
the Memorial Day weekend as we celebrate our 48th state convention.
Please review the below outline of information regarding our state
convention, and feel free to share with anyone you know

In addition, enclosed is a copy of the registration form for your convenience.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by your
preferred method of choice.

Looking forward in seeing all of you there!!!

Miranda
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF FLORIDA

2018 STATE CONVENTION

The 2018 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
Florida (NFBF) is fast approaching.  We hope you will make your plans
early to be present for a fabulous fun-filled and educational
gathering in Tampa, Florida.

The convention will be held over the Memorial Day weekend:

Friday, May 25, 2018 through Monday, May 28, 2018 at the

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore

2225 North Lois Avenue

Tampa, FL 33607

Phone: 813-877-6688

 We are excited about the different activities on the agenda for our
attendees. You will have the opportunity to participate in general
sessions and in a selection of timely seminars.  Special interest
discussion groups ranging from division meetings to sessions focusing
on the latest in electronics, new products for the blind, and other
topics related to blindness will be presented.

 Numerous items of adaptive equipment will be on display in our
Exhibition Hall which opens Friday evening. The Annual Banquet is
always an event that everyone looks forward to attending. Convention
activities will begin Friday evening with an open meeting of the NFBF
Board of Directors and the NFBF Resolutions Committee meeting.

General Sessions begin on Saturday morning, May 26, 2018.  Featuring
speeches from government officials and representatives from agencies
such as Social Security Administration and the Division of Blind
Services along with a variety of other dynamic speakers. General
Sessions continue Sunday and Monday mornings. Saturday and Sunday
afternoons will headline seminars on many informative topics such as
legislation, technology, guide dogs, senior concerns, and other timely
topics relating to blindness. We will be hosting seminars for parents
of blind and visually impaired children on Saturday and Sunday
afternoons. Children will be treated to their own activities during
this time.  The Hospitality Suite will be available on Saturday and
Sunday afternoons. The closing event of the evening will be the annual
auction.

 On Sunday evening we invite you to join us for our Annual NFBF
Banquet. A National Representative of the NFB Headquarters in
Baltimore, MD, will provide both a National Report and a banquet
address you will not want to miss. Concluding the evening, the 2018
Student Scholarship winners will be presented.

 On Monday, May 28, 2018, a special commemoration will be held in
honor of Memorial Day observation and our final business session will
follow.  Elections will be held for the available board positions;
members will vote on resolutions and other Federation business will be
conducted. The convention will conclude at 11:00 AM.

 It pays to pre-register! Prior to convention the registration fee is
$20.00 and the banquet tickets are $40.00 each. The registration and
the banquet fee will each increase by $5.00 on Monday, May 7, 2018. It
is important that we receive your payment by that date to qualify for
the special registration and banquet package discount. Banquet tickets
are limited at the door, so plan early to attend and send your
Convention Registration in today or call 1-800-342-9005 and
preregister and purchase banquet tickets with your credit card.

If you are registering by mail, please use the link below to download
the form to register for the convention and banquet. Please use a
separate form for each person, so feel free to make copies or download
additional forms.

To make your room reservations, please call the Hilton Tampa Airport
Westshore at (813) 877-6688. When calling, ask for the National
Federation of the Blind of Florida Convention room rate (code NFB) of
$104.00 per night.

 Rooms are reserved on a first-come first-served basis. Your room
reservation must be made by May 3, 2018 to guarantee our special hotel
rate. Call early while rooms are still available. They may sell out
before the cut-off date!

Effort will be made to meet the needs of those with disabilities if
accommodations are requested before May 12, 2018. Please send request
and information to Jorge Hernandez at jeh1065 at comcast.net.

 If you have questions, please feel free to contact NFBF Treasurer
Gloria Mills Hicks at: treasurer at nfbflorida.org, or by calling Monday
through Friday between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM, 1-813-837-1101.
Please be aware that this is Gloria’s work number, so the phone line
will be answered, I Rescue. In addition, you can e-mail me at
president@ nfbflorida.org, or call 305-9728529.

 We hope to see you in Tampa in May for the best NFBF Convention ever!

--
Miranda B. Kilby, Second Vice President National Federation of the
Blind of Florida

President
Tampa Bay Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of Florida
Ph: (352)942-0417
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.