[Nfbf-l] Tampa Bay vision fare

Miranda Kilby mbkilby at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 02:14:09 UTC 2018

For immediate release

Meet the Blind Month

          Every year, the National Federation of the Blind celebrates “Meet the Blind Month” to spread the message that blind people can live the lives we want by conducting a variety of outreach activities. On Saturday, November 10, the Tampa bay chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida will celebrate “Meet the Blind Month” in the fellowship hall of East Tampa Christian Church, located at 7824 S. 24th Ave., about two blocks north of Causeway Blvd. & 78th Street. The event will be held from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

“This activity creates opportunities for sighted people to meet blind people in their communities and to recognize that we are vital, contributing members of society,” says Miranda Kilby, president of the Tampa Bay Chapter.

The event will feature both low and high tech devices to accommodate for blindness and low vision, Braille Storytime, demonstrations of working guide dog teams, representatives from rehabilitation agencies for the blind, free eye pressure screenings by an ophthalmologist, and complimentary refreshments. There will also be a showing of the movie, Do You Dream in Color?, a critically acclaimed documentary about blind youth and the educational and societal challenges they face, at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. You can view the trailer for this movie by visiting <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvT3JTQ0Wag>

“This event will also give blind people who have never had exposure to blind mentors and the positive attitude of the National Federation of the blind a chance to meet other blind individuals who demonstrate that blindness is not the characteristic that defines our futures,” says Merry Schoch, vice president of the Chapter and a licensed clinical social worker in private practice in Brandon who organized the event.

            The National Federation of the Blind of Florida is an affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind, headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland. The National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest organization of the blind in the United States. The NFB knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back. The Federation provides scholarships to blind students; support for those who are blind or losing their eyesight; advocacy for the blind facing discrimination; and educational programs for the general public on topics of blindness. The NFB is not an organization that speaks on behalf of the blind; we are the blind speaking for ourselves.

                For more information about blindness or the Tampa Bay chapter of the National Federation of the Blind, please call (352) 942-0147, send an email to TampaBay at nfbflorida.org, or visit our website >http://nfbflorida.org>.
# # #

If You Come///

WHAT: Meet the Blind
WHERE: East Tampa Christian Church Fellowship Hall
                    7824 S. 24th Avenue
                    Tampa, Florida
                    (Two blocks north of Causeway Blvd. & 78th Street)
DATE: Saturday, November 10
TIME 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

For more information call (352) 942-0417, email TampaBay at nfbflorida.org or visit >http://nfbflorida.org>

--