[Nfbf-l] National Federation of the Blind Invites You to Meet the Blind

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 15:47:08 UTC 2018

Please distribute this message as widely as appropriate. This message
contains an audio file attachment. If you receive this message without this
attachment, please send a request for it to

Marion.Gwizdala at verizon.net

          Every year, the National Federation of the Blind celebrates "Meet
the Blind Month" to spread the message that blind people can live the lives
we want by conducting a variety of outreach activities. On Saturday,
November 10, the Tampa bay chapter of the National Federation of the Blind
of Florida will celebrate "Meet the Blind Month" in the fellowship hall of
East Tampa Christian Church, located at 7824 S. 24th Ave., about two blocks
north of Causeway Blvd. & 78th Street. The event will be held from 10:00
a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

"This activity creates opportunities for sighted people to meet blind people
in their communities and to recognize that we are vital, contributing
members of society," says Miranda Kilby, president of the Tampa Bay Chapter.

The event will feature both low and high tech devices to accommodate for
blindness and low vision, Braille Storytime, demonstrations of working guide
dog teams, representatives from rehabilitation agencies for the blind, free
eye pressure screenings by an ophthalmologist, and complimentary
refreshments. There will also be a showing of the movie, Do You Dream in
Color?, a critically acclaimed documentary about blind youth and the
educational and societal challenges they face, at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
You can view the trailer for this movie by visiting
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvT3JTQ0Wag>

"This event will also give blind people who have never had exposure to blind
mentors and the positive attitude of the National Federation of the blind
the opportunity to meet other blind individuals who demonstrate that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines our futures," says Merry
Schoch, vice president of the Chapter and a licensed clinical social worker
in private practice in Brandon who organized the event.

            The National Federation of the Blind of Florida is an affiliate
of the National Federation of the Blind, located in Baltimore, Maryland. The
National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest organization of
the blind in the United States. The NFB knows that blindness is not the
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is
not what holds you back. The Federation provides scholarships to blind
students; support for those who are blind or losing their eyesight; advocacy
for the blind facing discrimination; and educational programs for the
general public on topics of blindness. The NFB is not an organization that
speaks on behalf of the blind; we are the blind speaking for ourselves.

                For more information about blindness or the Tampa Bay
chapter of the National Federation of the Blind, please call (352) 942-0147,
send an email to TampaBay at nfbflorida.org, or visit our website
>http://nfbflorida.org>.

# # #

If You Come///

WHAT: Meet the Blind

WHERE: East Tampa Christian Church Fellowship Hall

                    7824 S. 24th Avenue

                    Tampa, Florida

                    (Two blocks north of Causeway Blvd. & 78th Street)

DATE: Saturday, November 10

TIME 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

For more information call (352) 942-0417, email TampaBay at nfbflorida.org or
visit >http://nfbflorida.org>