[NFBF-L] Exercise Information from Diabetes Meeting

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Thu Aug 15 12:48:32 UTC 2019

Good Morning Everyone:

At the request of those on the diabetes conference call Monday night, I have
attached a document with a list of low impact chair exercises. Also in this
email is a short wrap-up of our call.

Important: Consult your doctor before starting/stopping/changing an exercise
routine. Make sure you are healthy enough for exercise!

I did some of my research by reading "Diabetes Forecast", the magazine of
the American Diabetes Association. For our members who have access to BAARD
(NLS Talking Book Library), you will find the previous 12 months of Diabetes
Forecast available on the BAARD website and can request back issues from the
Talking Book Library. Additionally, there is a subscribe button on the BAARD
website.

Exercise affects diabetes and in reverse, diabetes can affect your exercise
routines. There are no hard and fast rules about how often to exercise,
because it might depend on what effect you are trying to achieve. In
general, those wishing to maintain healthy blood glucose levels, the
recommendation is 30 minutes a day, 4-5 days per week. However, you could
also do 60 minutes 2-3 days per week. The object is to consistently increase
physical activity.

Walking and swimming are extremely popular for exercises, especially for
diabetics experiencing complications of diabetes, such as neuropathy,
arthritis and peripheral artery disease. These low impact exercises will
help to improve cardiovascular and circulatory concerns and can be less
damaging to the body. If you suffer from conditions that affect balance,
swimming, recombinant bikes or rowing machines may be advisable because it
does not rely on putting pressure on the feet and legs.

Light weight lifting (10 pounds or less) is advised for those who suffer
from retinopathy. This is because when you bend over to pick anything up
(whether it is a dumbbell or a piece of paper), you naturally hold your
breath. Well, trying to lift a heavy weight makes you hold your breath
longer and the strain of heavy lifting can increase the pressure to the
eyes. So, consult a doctor before lifting weights!

Yoga and tai chi are  gentle, low impact ways of increasing physical
activity. It stretches the muscles in a gentle way, decreasing strain. It is
recommended for people who have joint issues and arthritis.

As stated above, please consult your doctor before starting or stopping any
exercise routine. It is important to ensure you are healthy enough to begin
an exercise regimen.

Together,

Camille