[NFBF-L] FW: DBS Media Reports Monday, May 4, Tuesday, May 5, and Wednesday, May 6, 2020

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 7 17:19:43 UTC 2020

Monday, May 4, 2020

News Hook: As A Visually Impaired Woman, I Navigate Two Worlds
<https://newzhook.com/story/youtube-visually-impaired-woman-payal-kapoor-dis
abled-blind-rasoi-ke-rahasya-cooking/>

At first, it was difficult for me to communicate with non-disabled people.
My new life was a devastatingly lonely, dark space. My friends from school
and college had converged around me to commiserate and offer support. But
eventually, as my recovery extended to months and then years, communication
with them became infrequent, until there was none. But I slowly recovered
partial hearing and was able to start communicating with people again, and
made friends with other people living with visual impairment. Those were
early days of technology; accessible technology was in its infancy. I
learned how to read and write Braille and use assistive technology - the
uphill trudge was tough, especially because I didn't yet have access to
mobile phones or email, and my world still remained bereft of all those old
friends who had been a part of my life for years.

Eye Health

Circleville Herald: Prevent Blindness Warns Of Extended Exposure To UV Rays
Is Damaging
<https://www.circlevilleherald.com/community/prevent-blindness-warns-of-exte
nded-exposure-to-uv-rays-is-damaging/article_3a8838e3-fc1f-53bf-a21f-3499b68
c0840.html>

As restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic are slowly lifted and we
work our way back into enjoying more of the great outdoors, Prevent
Blindness cautions that extended exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays can
immediately cause damage to eyes, including photokeratitis, also referred to
as a "corneal sunburn." UV damage to the eyes may also be cumulative,
resulting in the development of cataract or cancer later in life. Prevent
Blindness has declared May as Ultraviolet Awareness Month to help educate
the public on the dangers of UV exposure. The organization provides
dedicated fact sheets and web resources on topics related to the basics from
how UV can damage the eyes, to advice on choosing the best UV eye
protection, and more.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Yahoo Finance: Online Groceries: A Convenience To An Obstacle
<https://finance.yahoo.com/news/online-groceries-convenience-obstacle-135842
515.html>

Online shopping, once thought of as a convenience, has become an essential
service for many but it may be presenting more obstacles than solutions.  In
some cases, online shopping may be the only way that some persons with
disabilities and senior citizens have access to groceries and other
necessities in order to avoid contact with the coronavirus.  The problem -
the majority of websites are inaccessible to people who may need to use
assistive technology, such as a screen reader, or keyboard navigation to
place their grocery orders. Many consumers are already complaining about
limited delivery windows, but for some persons with disabilities, they may
not even be able to add items to their cart.  Like many businesses, grocers
may not have considered persons who use assistive technologies when building
their website.  Now, however, that issue is exacerbated by the proliferation
of online ordering

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

News Wise: Research To Prevent Blindness And Allergan Foundation Announce
New Partnership To Support Early-Career Vision Researchers
<https://www.newswise.com/articles/research-to-prevent-blindness-and-allerga
n-foundation-announce-new-partnership-to-support-early-career-vision-researc
hers>

Research to Prevent Blindness (RPB) and the Allergan Foundation have
undertaken a partnership to support early-career vision researchers with the
launch of a new award aimed at assistant professors, as well as
co-sponsorship of grants for medical students seeking research experiences.

Accessibility

Nature: Let Covid-19 Expand Awareness Of Disability Tech
<https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01312-w>

Disabled people including myself have long campaigned for accommodations to
help us live our lives. The COVID-19 pandemic shows that these are not as
impractical as we have always been told. Supermarkets, restaurants and
pharmacies (even outside cities) can deliver; remote working, medicine and
education are possible for many; and social lives can be rewarding without
requiring us to leave home. All around me, I see academic colleagues
adopting disability-led hacks and long-sought accommodations. I wish
everyone had thought about these workarounds - and about disabled people at
all - earlier. When lockdowns end, we must not forget these lessons, not
least because the pandemic will disable people, and the impacts will be felt
most by the most vulnerable parts of society.