[nfbmi-talk] Questions About MCB Board Correspondence

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 19:30:58 UTC 2010

Hi Elizabeth,

Pat's comment that board correspondence is "referenced" in the minutes was
another shameful attempt to withhold information from consumers.  It was a
weak, transparent and inane attempt to spin and avoid his obligations under
the law.  Shame, shame, I say.  The simplest and most transparent thing to
do would be to post all such correspondence along with the minutes on the
MCB web page.

The following, after my signature,  is in the Commission Act: P.A. 260.  The
citations are included.  It is very clear, to me, that all "board
correspondences" are public documents available to the public.

This has double strength, since it is a separate state law and is
specifically included in the Commission law.  There is no doubt that its
presence within P.A. 260 makes it clear that the authors of the law intended
for consumers to be part of all aspects of policy development and
implementation.  I tell you, and anyone who will listen, I was there in 1977
and 1978, our intention was to have blind people have a say-so about how the
MCB is run.  As long as I can, I intend to strive to make it so.

Warmest Regards,

Fred

(2) A writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by
the commission

in the performance of an official function shall be made available to the
public

in compliance with Act No. 442 of the Public Acts of 1976, being sections
15.231

to 15.246 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

History: 1978, Act 260. Eff. Oct. 1, 1978.