[nfbmi-talk] FW: Update on DTW + How Our Drivers Train + Bargain Fares to Phoenix

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Fri Jan 22 02:07:11 UTC 2016

Hello,

J.J. mentioned the Michigan Flyer newsletter.  It is below in a couple formats, including an attachment.  I pasted in a copy and then there is the original email.  If anyone has any problems reading 1 of the versions, let me know and I will try to make it work for you.

Warmest Regards,

Fred

Trouble viewing this email? Read it online <http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?9l8hi--6uub4-ymsckn8>

mifly_topbar.jpg

E-newsMasthead_January2016.jpg

mcnamara-terminal_sign_WEB2.jpg

Update: Detroit Metro Airport and People with Disabilities
It’s been 16 months since Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) relocated the stop for Michigan Flyer-AirRide from curbside at the McNamara Terminal to the furthest reaches of the Ground Transportation Center (GTC) in the parking ramp across the road. To younger, able-bodied passengers carrying minimal luggage, the new location has just been an inconvenience. But for others—including many seniors and people with disabilities—it’s been a serious hardship.

As this winter approached, Indian Trails and Michigan Flyer continuously urged DTW’s governing body—the Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA)—to help the most vulnerable passengers and move our public transportation bus stop closer to the terminal. So did the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan (NFBMI), whose efforts were covered in a Detroit Free Press article entitled, “Is Metro Airport biased against public transit users? <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjd-ymsckn6> ”

Previously, NFBMI also passed a resolution <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqje-ymsckn7>  concerning the airport, staged a protest <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjf-ymsckn8>  there, and released a video <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjg-ymsckn9>  showing why the current location is problematic.

Nonetheless, the frigid weather has set in, and the bus stop is still located 200 yards from the GTC’s indoor waiting room. If you plan to catch one of our buses at the McNamara Terminal (Delta Airlines) anytime soon, we urge you to wait indoors until five minutes before your coach is due. Our on-time reliability is excellent, so your watch or smartphone should be a good guide. Also, a staff member at our customer desk usually signals when our coaches are about to arrive. And you can download our free “RideHop” app <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjh-ymsckn0>  to your smartphone and track your bus’s progress in real time.

Meanwhile, we are hopeful of a thaw—and resolution—soon, now that talks with WCAA are ongoing.

frank-robinson_WEB.jpg

Like All of Our Drivers, Frank Robinson Aims to Please
At Michigan Flyer-AirRide, we take pride in the fact that our drivers are among the most well-trained in our industry—not only in the safe operation of our motorcoaches, but how to troubleshoot, handle emergencies, obey transportation regulations, stay rested, and provide exceptional service for passengers each and every time.

Just before he first took the wheel of a Michigan Flyer motorcoach, driver Frank Robinson thought about the five intense weeks of training he’d received from veteran drivers both in a classroom and on the road. All the training had prepared him for an immense responsibility.

“It’s really something to think about, having the lives of 50-plus passengers in your hands,” he says. “It’s a serious obligation to deliver them safely to their destination.”

Even though Robinson had worked for another transportation company before becoming a driver for our parent company, Indian Trails, he was surprised by all he still had to learn.

Thorough Training
He and his fellow new drivers learned about the 105-year history of Indian Trails, the company’s commitment to customer service, and almost every aspect of our motorcoaches—including instrumentation and onboard technology, using mirrors properly, operating the air brake system, negotiating turns, merging into traffic, avoiding accidents, ticketing systems, boarding and de-boarding procedures, and conducting pre-and post-trip inspections.

“Even though I had some experience, this training was more structured and intense,” says Robinson.

It’s not uncommon for drivers who come to Indian Trails from other bus companies to need re-training, says Vice President Ken Henry: “There are other ways, then there’s the Indian Trails way. Ours is very comprehensive.”

Proof Positive
That’s why 27 of our drivers have been honored with a “Million Mile Award” since 1989 for safely transporting their passengers more than one million miles without an avoidable accident. Many of them have also served as instructors for new drivers, teaching best practices in maneuvering motorcoaches and defensive driving.

“Experienced drivers emphasize things like always watching your distance between other vehicles and scanning the roadway for potential hazards or accidents,” says Robinson.

By the time he took his first solo trip as a Michigan Flyer driver in October 2014, Robinson felt well-prepared.

“It’s been great,” he says. “I feel fortunate to work with the people I do. My goal is to deliver exceptional service every day so that passengers enjoy their experience with us and choose to ride with us again.”

Robinson lives in St. Johns with his wife and three-year-old daughter. Outside of work, he enjoys hunting, camping, and bowling.

CustomerComments_Graphic.png

Thank You for Another Smooth Trip
“We have used the Flyer a few times. We left on Christmas Day and the woman driver was nice. Although she never did say her name so we could thank her for working on Christmas so that we could make our flight in Detroit. We came back yesterday with all the U of M students that were coming back as well. It was crazy at the airport stops. Jason, who was getting everyone set up on their buses was so nice and great at what he was doing. He even looked out for an older lady that the airport authority wheeled down to the area and left her there. Bill, our driver, went above and beyond to make sure everyone got to their stops even when we left the airport 20 minutes late due to the rule of one bus at a time at McNamara Terminal. Thank you again for another smooth trip to/from DTW.” — Denise K.

frontier-airlines_WEB.jpg

TRAVEL BARGAIN:
Cheap Detroit-Phoenix Nonstop Flights on Frontier
Frontier Airlines begins flying cheap nonstops between Detroit and Phoenix on April 15. You can book these flights now. They take off on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. For example, a recent price check found a nonstop roundtrip departing on Saturday, April 23, and returning on April 30 is available for $158. Taxes and fees are included, but carry-on and checked bag fees can ding you for an extra $30-$60 each depending on when and where you pay for them. The airline also charges more for selecting a seat in advance. The lowest fares are available through the website www.flyfrontier.com <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqji-ymsckn1> .

By comparison, nonstop Detroit-Phoenix roundtrips on the same dates were available for $360 on Southwest Airlines (two bags free), $337 on American Airlines ($25 per bag), and $436 on Delta Airlines ($25 per bag).

Why Drive?

Booking is easy, click here <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjj-ymsckn2>  to view schedules on
MichiganFlyer_FooterLogo.png

Michigan Flyer
333 Albert Street - Suite 214 | East Lansing, MI 48823
 <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjk-ymsckn3> www.michiganflyer.com

 <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjl-ymsckn4> twitter-icon.png

 <http://trk.cp20.com/click?9l8hi-16mqjm-ymsckn5> facebook-icon.png

follow us on Facebook and Twitter

  _____

 <http://www.campaigner.com/?utm_source=campaigner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=deliveryfooter> mhtml:file://C:\Users\Fred%20Wurtzel\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\Content.Outlook\55F7FUSE\email%20(22).mht!http://media.campaigner.com/app/poweredby.gif