[NFBMI-Talk] sad news

mpowell7583 at yahoo.com mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 17:19:33 UTC 2021

To those on this list serve, members and friends.

I am very sorry to have to report to you that Denise Kennedy, long time
member and treasurer of our Wayne County chapter died early this morning.
She had been struggling for some time since last year though she did her
best to stay connected with us through our chapter and state meetings.  I
remember talking with her as recent as our last state board meeting on March
6 where she expressed her appreciation for our supporting her through her
illness with our concern and prayers.           Apparently she had been
dealing with pancreatic cancer.  Denise will be remembered for her passion
for braille and her work as a braille transcriber and the teaching she did
at the Detroit office of the then Commission for the Blind where she
provided instruction to people working to get their  G. E. D.

Denise also taught braille whenever and wherever she could.  She had always
wanted to be a braille teacher of the blind and visually impaired and
regrets being discouraged by people who told her that it would be difficult
or impossible for a blind person to get into the teaching profession.  She
said if she had known about the federation earlier in her life things would
have definitely been different.

I first met Denise when I went to Cleveland Junior High School where she was
in her last year.

We got reconnected through the federation and we stayed in contact.  Denise
was always good with tips on labeling appliances and organizing things the
way we as blind people are known to do.  I will always remember her as one
of my special friends who I could always have a good conversation with when
we either got together or had to talk concerning federation business .

Rest in peace dear sister in Christ.

Michael Powell

President