[Nfbofnc] FW: Gift Certificates now available

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 20:13:16 UTC 2008

Hello Tim and listers,

As members of the NFB we are bound by the policies of this organization no
matter which state we live in or affiliate we belong to. If our policy is to
promote access to information it must appear on our email lists or affiliate
Web sites in a manner that makes it available to blind persons in NC and
elsewhere. That comes straight from Dr. Maurer himself. Both Ray and I heard
him for ourselves and I have a recording of his presentation given at the
Webmasters Seminar last fall in which he clearly stated that information we
post to the Internet must be presented in a manner that blind people can
access independently. And there's nothing insulting about that.

    I was stating a fact. The fact is that you attached a document to your
message that is a graphic file. If it contains text because it was created
as an image file that text will not be available to screen reading software
making it inaccessible to blind North Carolinians and others. A while back
we had a similar issue with one of the NOPBC Affiliates who wanted to post
their newsletter on their Web site in PDF Format. They were urged to
reconsider due to accessibility issues with Portable Document Format Files
being what it was and still is depending on the complexity of these files.
They have since reconsidered and post their division newsletter as Web pages
and in Microsoft Word File Format giving access to blind and sighted
visitors to their Web site.

    One more thing. Are you failing to consider the fact that assuming we
can use them in our home areas there may be those from outside of NC who may
wish to purchass these certificates expanding your fundraising
opportunities? How can that be insulting? All the best for a wonderful
holiday season.

Peter Donahue