[Nfbofnc] Urgent Legislative Action on Newsline needed now

Lusi98 Lusi98 at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 25 03:07:43 UTC 2011

Hi Guys.

I hope you have all had a happy Easter. I have, but now it's time to go on with the work at hand. We are not doing well on our legislative efforts this year. The past three years have been successful, but we cannot afford becoming complacent this year. The legislative climate has changed and we must redouble our efforts  People aren't popping out of their offices and saying that they have heard from a lot of our people.  This is disheartening to those of us at ground zero. If we're not calling and emailing no other strategy that we may plan will be effective. We have the reputation of being very effective. Let's keep it that way.

Our first order of business is to call and email our state senators and representatives in support of Newsline--Accessible Electronic Information Service for the Blind and Disabled. They don't have any idea what Newsline is, so use terminology that they will understand. Don't limit your calls to members of the Health and Human Resources Appropriations Committee, but call the senator and representative that represents you. If you aren't sure who your elected officials are you can call the legislative switchboard at 919-733-4111. They can tell you who they are. They can also connect you to your representative or Senator. When emailing use the pattern: firstname.lastname at ncleg.net. If this bounces call me and I'll look up the email address for you. We have many counties where we don't have many blind people. Feel free to call elected officials from these areas. In other words, cover the state with your calls. There is a small group going downtown to walk through the buildings on Thursday morning to try to gain more support for Accessible Electronic Information Service for the Blind and Disabled. If you are a Newsline user and you didn't receive that special email, I apologize. Let me know and you can come too. We need to call and email these people to get their support for Accessible Electronic Information System for the Blind and Disabled once every two weeks until further notice.

Our talking points are:

  a.. people stay connected to their communities. We have six NC papers on Newsline

  a.. One of the options on Accessible Electronic Information System for the Blind is Career Builder. One thing that keeps people unemployed is the inability to find jobs. Through this service blind people can find jobs in the communities where they live.

  a.. Through Accessible Electronic Information System for the Blind and Disabled readers have access to over three hundred newspapers and magazines nation wide. Many business men, college professors, and students use this service.

  a.. If you have a personal story about house Accessible Electronic Information Service for the Blind and Disabled has impacted your life, use it!!

  a..

  a.. You can pass this email on to any person-blind or sighted who might help us. We could also use some sighted guides downtown when we have several people down at the legislative buildings.

Keep on working. One of these years we will get this to be automatically reoccurring, but until then we must keep holding those ropes.

Thanks for the work you are going to do.

Lusi