[Nfbv-announce] National Federation of the Blind Commends House for Passage of Safety Legislation

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 19:43:20 UTC 2010

Don't forget to visit www.VirginiaQuietCars.org. Email your comments to
info at VirginiaQuietCars.org.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Commends
 House for Passage of Safety Legislation
Washington, D.C. (December 16, 2010): The National Federation of the Blind
today commended the United States House of Representatives for passing the
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (S. 841), which will protect the blind and
other pedestrians from injury as a result of silent vehicle technology.

Because blind pedestrians cannot locate and evaluate traffic using their
vision, they must listen to traffic to discern its speed, direction, and
other attributes in order to travel safely and independently.  Other people,
including pedestrians who are not blind, bicyclists, runners, and small
children, also benefit from hearing the sound of vehicle engines.  New
vehicles that employ hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent,
rendering them extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and
pedestrians come into proximity with each other.

"The National Federation of the Blind commends the United States House of
Representatives for the wise and decisive action taken today to preserve the
right to safe and independent travel for the blind," said Dr. Marc Maurer,
President of the National Federation of the Blind.  "The blind, like all
pedestrians, must be able to travel to work, to school, to church, and to
other places in our communities, and we must be able to hear vehicles in
order to do so.  This bill, which is the result of collaboration among blind
Americans, automobile manufacturers, and legislators, will benefit all
pedestrians for generations to come as new vehicle technologies become more
prevalent.  We hope that President Obama will sign this legislation into law
before the close of the year."
"The trend toward putting more environmentally friendly, quiet vehicles on
the road has unintentionally jeopardized the safety and independence of the
blind and other pedestrians," said Representative Edolphus Towns, the
sponsor of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, who spent many years
teaching travel with a white cane to the blind. "This bill will prevent many
injuries while still allowing more clean vehicles on our nation's roads."

"I understand the safety concerns of blind pedestrians with these quiet
automobiles; I have heard the same concerns from senior citizens in my
district, and I appreciate the threat to children, bicyclists, and runners,"
said Representative Cliff Stearns, the original Republican co-sponsor of the
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act.  "I deeply appreciate the support of all
parties in working for the passage of this important safety legislation."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please
visit our Web site: www.nfb.org.

John Bailey
info at virginiaQuietCars.org
www.VirginiaQuietCars.org