[Nfbv-announce] NFB Race For Independence Explained

Nancy Yeager nancyyeager542 at verizon.net
Mon May 10 20:19:48 UTC 2010

The National Federation of the Blind Imagination Fund is the fundraising arm
of the Jernigan Institute, which opened for business on January 30, 2004.
The only facility of its type in the world, the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute leads the way in developing and implementing
innovative programs of education, technology, and training for the blind.
>From the very beginning, the work of the Institute has been made possible by
the efforts of blind and sighted men and women in communities across the
nation. As supporters of the Imagination Fund (or"Imaginators"), these men
and women have made annual commitments to spread the word about the work of
the Jernigan Institute and to secure funding for its programs and
initiatives. Since 2004, 50 percent of proceeds raised for the Imagination
Fund are used for programs at the Jernigan Institute, and 50 percent are
distributed among the fifty-two affiliates of the National Federation of the
Blind to support local and state outreach efforts benefiting blind children,
teens, youth, college students, adults, and seniors losing their vision.

Each annual campaign of the Imagination Fund begins in August of 1 year and
ends on July 31 (shortly after NFB Annual Convention) of the following year.
At the 2007 convention in Atlanta, Georgia, the National Federation of the
Blind conducted its first ever March for Independence--A Walk for
Opportunity, a 5K walk-a-thon fundraising event and celebration
demonstrating the independent spirit of the nation's organized blind
movement and its supporters. The 2007 March was so successful that it was
repeated at the 2008 convention in Dallas, Texas, and again at the
Convention in Detroit, Michigan, in 2009, netting a three-year total of well
over $1.3 million for the Imagination Fund.

After the 2009 convention the Imagination Fund launched the "Imagination
Fund Race for Independence" and has asked members to sign up and ask their
family members, friends and coworkers for support. Many members are asking
"what race?" "We aren't even marching this year, are we?"

This year's race is not a physical march similar to those held in 2007
through 2009.  The 2010 Race for Independence is quite simply the expression
of our desire to speed toward our goal of achieving first-class citizenship
status in society at an ever-increasing pace.

As a symbol of our desire to "race" to achieve first-class citizenship, the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute is collaborating with
students at the Robotics and Mechanisms Laboratory at Virginia Tech
University's Mechanical Engineering Department to develop a road-ready
vehicle that can be operated by a blind driver without sighted assistance.
This vehicle is not merely equipped with an audio guidance system designed
to tell the driver where to go, but it is also being fitted with technology
that describes the environment through tactile imaging.  This way, the
driver can make informed decisions about how to navigate the vehicle as
opposed to simply following spoken instructions.

The car will be on display at this year's National convention in Dallas,
Texas.  Those who achieve their fundraising goals for 2010 will have the
opportunity to visit the exclusive showroom for the car in the Hilton
Anatole hotel, and even compete for the right to serve as a beta tester of
some of the technology being used in this prototype automobile during the
2010 national convention.

So, Why should you sign up for the Race For Independence?  First, there is
no charge to sign-up.  Once you sign-up, you pick your financial goal and
then invite neighbors, friends, family members or those with whom you do
business to support the Federation and its efforts because it is important
to you and help you meet your goal.  You can, of course, contribute your own
money as well, or solicit only from others.  You can raise money by
yourself, join an existing team such as Eastern Shore Virginia Team or
Seville's Sidekicks) or start a new team.  Finally, fundraisers compete to
beta test some of the car's technology.

I hope that you now want to sign up to be an immaginator.  To register, just
go to www.raceforindependence.org <http://www.raceforindependence.org/> .
If, on the other hand, registration is too much of a hassle, send me an
email at nancyyeager542 at verizon.net, tell me you want to register for the
Race For Independence, and if you want to be on a team.  Registration will
be taken care of for you.

Join us this summer in Dallas, Texas, as we test this innovative technology
and prepare to make history.  Let us race toward tomorrow together.

Nancy Yeager