[Nfbv-announce] September Fairfax NFBV Chapter Newsletter

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:24:07 UTC 2010

Dear Members and Friends:

This is the September 2010 newsletter of the Fairfax Area Chapter of the
National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia. There is lots and lots of exciting
information below along with a copy of the Red Lobster menu at the end of
this newsletter.

This Month's Program:
This month, we will be having a demonstration of the latest in technology
that allows the blind to read their paper money. I first saw the iBill at
last July’s national convention in Dallas. This little device is the least
expensive and smallest device I have ever seen that in just a few seconds,
can either speak the denomination or vibrate the information to you.

We will have one of these amazing insterments at this month’s meeting for
you to try yourself.

In addition, we will be talking about this year’s state convention. It will
be held nearby in Falls Church. At this meeting, we will find out about what
is planned for the largest state convention in the NFBV’s history.

At last month’s meeting, you would of thought you were at the meeting of the
Dog Lover’s Convention. Whether it was a trained dog guide or just the
affectionate family pet, we shared our information and love for the animals.

For this month, Fairfax Chapter member Sue Garrison will talk about her work
rescuing German Sheppard Dogs.

Meeting Location:
For the September 16, 2010 meeting, we will be gathering in the banquet room
at
the Fairfax City Red Lobster, located at 10325 Fairfax Boulevard. They can
be reached at (703) 691-1011. Their website is http://www.redlobster.com.
Those who wish to join us for dinner should arrive at 6:30 p.m. The formal
meeting will begin promptly at 7:00p.m. And run till 9:00 p.m. We will be
meeting in the banquet room at the restaurant. A copy of the menu is at the
bottom of this newsletter. If you need transportation assistance from the
Vienna Metro Station, please contact Chapter Vice-President Cathy Schroeder
at (703) 319-9226. We want to make sure anyone who wants to attend a meeting
is able to do so. Please give Cathy several days notice if you will need a
ride. Otherwise, we can not promise anything.

State Convention Information:
State Convention by Michael Kasey, NFB Vigilant - Spring 2010
 The 2010 NFBV Convention will be held in Falls Church November 12-14, 2010.
This may prove to be the most attended convention in our history!  It must
be the largest hotel we have ever had a state convention. The hotel address
is:  Marriott Fairview Park, 3111 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA,
22042(703) 849-9400 or (800) 228-9290. The rate for a room is $65 per night
(plus tax). The same low rate is also available one day prior to and one day
after the convention for those who wish to continue enjoying the hospitality
of the city. There is much more to come. Stay tuned!

Speakers Available to Present at other Organizations:
If you belong to a group that would like to have a program where your
members can learn about low-vision and blindness, there are several
excellent presenters who are members of the Fairfax Chapter who would be
pleased to talk with you. For more information about hosting a program,
contact John Bailey at 703.994.2040 or via e-mail at
john_bailey17 at hotmail.com.

Pledge:
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

Red Lobster Menu Choices: Freshly baked
Cheddar Bay Biscuits; Garden or Caesar salad (add petiteshrimp for99) or
coleslaw. With the exception of pastas, entres also come with: Your
choice of fresh broccoli, home-style mashed potatoes, wild rice pilaf,baked
potato or fries. Substitute One of Our Premium Sides Fresh
Asparagus Seasonal. 2.25 additional Creamy Lobster-Topped Baked Potato
Withlangoustine lobster meat. 3.99 additional Creamy Lobster-Topped
MashedPotatoes With langostino lobster meat. 3.99 additional Add to Any
MealSteamed Snow Crab Legs1/2 pound served with melted butter. 7.50
Steamed King Crab Legs 1/2 poundserved with melted butter. 9.99 Know someone

who loves seafood? The RedLobster Gift Card makes a great gift. Buy Gift
Cards Online Enjoy a NewEngland Lobster  Bakec at home. We'll deliver it
fresh to your door. Buy Live Lobster Online Savor More of the Sea on Mondays

and Tuesdays CrabCrackin' Monday Join us every Monday for sweet snow crab
legs. 1 pound 15.501 1/2 pounds 19.50 2 pounds 23.50 Shrimp Lover's Tuesday
Enjoy lots ofdelicious shrimp on Tuesdays!Fried shrimp, scampi, coconut
shrimp bites or popcorn shrimp. Any Three12.75Any Four 16.25 *These menu
items are cooked to the level of doneness yourequest. Consuming raw or
undercooked meats or shellfish may increase yourrisk of food borne illness.
Seaside Shrimp Trio Seaside Shrimp Trio Agenerous sampling of our Walt's
Favorite Shrimp, savory garlic shrimp scampiand shrimp linguini Alfredo.
17.50 Ultimate Feast® Ultimate Feast® A tenderMaine lobster tail, steamed
snow crab legs, garlic shrimp scampi and Walt'sFavorite Shrimp.25.25
Admiral's Feast Admiral's Feast Walt's Favorite Shrimp, bay scallops,clam
strips and flounder fried to a golden brown. 16.99 Create Your OwnFeast
Choose Any Two 16.50 Choose Any Three 20.50Garlic-Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
Seafood-Stuffed Flounder Parrot Bay JumboCoconut Shrimp Walt's Favorite
Shrimp Grilled Salmon Shrimp Linguini AlfredoCrab Linguini Alfredo Garlic
Shrimp Scampi Steamed Snow Crab Legs GrilledSirloinSteak* (3.75
additional)

John Bailey
Fairfax Chapter, National Federation of the Blind
www.nfbv.org
703.994.2040
john_bailey17 at hotmail.com