[Nfbv-announce] (no subject)

lpovinelli at aol.com lpovinelli at aol.com
Wed May 4 11:36:37 UTC 2011

Contact Information                         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lawrence Povinelli, President
Arlington Host Lions Club
Post Office Box 50055
Arlington, VA 22205
lpovinelli at aol.com
(703) 969-6476

Local Lions Club Brings the Gift of Literacy to Blind Youth

(Arlington, VA - May 3, 2011) The 2011 Braille Enrichment for Literacy
and Learning (BELL) program scheduled for July will be able to host
more students this year thanks to a generous donation to the National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) from the Arlington Host
Lions Club.

The Arlington Host Lions Club donated one thousand dollars to support
the BELL initiative that will help students learn new skills to do well
in school and to eventually be employed.

The BELL program teaches blind and low vision children below the age of
fourteen how to use Braille effectively for reading and writing. “The
goal of the BELL program is to introduce children who cannot read
regular print to how useful Braille can be in hopes that they continue
using it throughout their lives.” said Dr. Fredrick K. Schroeder,
President, of the NFBV and Arlington Host Lions member.

“When they become adults, the one factor that enables them to be
employable is their Braille skills. Odds are, if you don’t know
Braille, you don’t have a job.”, said Sandy Halverson, the Coordinator
of the BELL program, who was present to accept the donation at the May
3, 2011 meeting of the club.

This is the second summer where the NFBV will be organizing a BELL
program in our area. In a pilot program in August of 2010 held in
Arlington, VA, seven blind and low vision students participated in a
two-week program of exploration of how many uses there are for Braille
in school and at home.

Theresa Willis from Virginia Beach, a blind parent of a blind student
who attended the 2010 pilot program, said, "I have Retinitis Pigmentosa
(RP) and have never read a book in my life.  I would try to read a
chapter but would give up because it was too hard with eyestrain and
headaches.  I don't want that for my child and this program has given
her what our school district could not.  My daughter also has RP and if
she learns Braille, she will not have to come home from school crying
because her eyes are tired and she has headaches.  I want her to be
able to read the books that I have never been able to."

Braille is a system of raised dots that blind people can use to read
and write. It was invented by Louis Braille nearly 200 years ago and is
one of the most effective methods for bringing literacy to those who
cannot read print.

The Arlington Host Lions Club was established in 1935 and serves
Arlington by creating and fostering a spirit of understanding among all
people for humanitarian needs by providing voluntary services through
community involvement and international cooperation. The club is also a
member of Lions Club International which has over 1.35 million members
in over 206 countries and geographic regions.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia consists of fifteen
chapters throughout the state and serves its members and all visually
impaired citizens by promoting fellowship as well as supporting
programs that increase the educational and economic opportunities of
the blind.