[Nfbv-announce] Disability community representation needed for planning and input sessions on Virginia's statewide sheltering strategy

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Thu Nov 19 20:12:43 UTC 2015

Good afternoon,

The Virginia Department of Emergency Management is seeking input and ideas
for development of an integrated, statewide sheltering strategy. We have
collected and solicited feedback across the state over the past few years
and now we would like to take the next step and provide an opportunity for
local emergency managers and emergency management stakeholders in sheltering
to help craft this new strategy. Our goal is to develop a statewide
sheltering strategy that enhances and augments local and regional
sheltering, using state resources in the most effective and efficient way
possible. I am reaching out to invite your organization to help ensure we
have adequate representation from the disability community at each of these
sessions. I want to ensure that any and all discussions about sheltering and
mass care related to disasters include people with disabilities. With your
input, we can identify the best way to support sheltering for people with
disabilities and we can develop the most effective way to use state
resources to keep people as close to home as possible during sheltering.

Through a series of regional listening sessions that will be carried out
across the Commonwealth, your organization and other disability advocacy
organizations across the state can provide your input on new and evolving
issues with sheltering, potential solutions, major concerns, what has been
tried in the past and what worked and didn't work. Part of the approach for
these listening sessions is to have a well-balanced cross-section of
representation from the whole community. That's why we are inviting local
and regional emergency managers and planners, non-profits that have a role
in sheltering, and other emergency management stakeholders from the
community. These include disability advocates, military, healthcare, higher
education, animal control and voluntary agencies. I sincerely hope that you
and your organization will consider participating in as many of these
sessions as you are able.

The following dates and times have been scheduled:

*	Nov. 23: 10 to 12 p.m. in Winchester;
*	Dec. 1: 10 to 12 p.m. in Fredericksburg;
*	Dec. 3: 1 to 3 p.m. in Fairfax;
*	Dec. 8: 10 to 12 p.m. in Salem;
*	Dec. 9: 1 to 3 p.m. in Marion;
*	Dec. 16: 10 to 12 p.m. in Culpeper;
*	Jan. 5: 1 to 3 p.m. at the Eastern Shore Community College;
*	Jan. 7: 10 to 12 p.m. in Norfolk;
*	Jan. 14: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Williamsburg; and
*	Jan. 19: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Tappahannock.

All dates, times and locations are listed on the Eventbrite registration
page. If you are unable to attend a meeting in your region, please feel free
to attend one in another region. Registration is required at
www.regionallisteningsessions2015.eventbrite.com
<http://www.regionallisteningsessions2015.eventbrite.com>

If there is an agency, organization or individual you feel should be
included in the sessions, please email forward the invitation directly to
them. If you are unable to attend any of the meetings, please feel free to
email your ideas and concerns to me at: dawn.brantley at vdem.virginia.gov
<mailto:dawn.brantley at vdem.virginia.gov> .

Please let me know if you have any concerns, suggestions or questions. I
hope to meet you at one of these upcoming sessions or before.

Respectfully,

Dawn Brantley, ADAC

Sheltering Coordinator

Virginia Department of Emergency Management

C) 804-332-3432

Linked In: linkedin.com/in/dawn Brantley

"If all you have is a hammer, you look at every problem as a nail."

blindness is not what holds you back.