[Nfbv-announce] NEWSLINE update!

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Sun Oct 4 21:30:47 UTC 2015

In the last few months enhancements to Newsline continue.

Newsline is the exciting newspaper for the blind and print handicapped
provided by the National Federation of the Blind and state sponsors. It is
available by telephone, IOS device, email, internet and on book readers such
as the Victor Reader Stream and others.  I suspect more options are coming
and I am not surprised if I missed some.

Newsline has more than 300 newspapers, 40 plus magazines, TV and job
listings, and Target adds.  During the holiday season, additional store
advertisements are included.

If you wish additional information on Newsline or wish to become a
subscriber to this free service contact me.  Also, if you already subscribe
and have forgotten your access code I can retrieve it for you.

Here are some recently added features.

.When you start a publication on the phone, you may press 99 for continues
reading.  In this mode, articles and sections follow each other with no
action on your part.  To move to the next article type three, any time,
during the previous article.  If you do not want to read a section type star
and Newsline moves to the next section.

. The new model of the Victor Reader Stream automatically downloads your
favorite publications when it is turned on and accessible and receiving a

WIFI signal.    Other DAISY readers also will capture publications on

Newsline.

. On the main menu, pressing one will bring up a new feature called National
Channels.  Currently, The Braille Monitor, Future Reflections, and Living
The lives you Want; 75 Years of the National Federation of the Blind are
available.  The Living the Lives you want is an exciting new publication
offering the history of the National Federation of the Blind.  It features
chapters written by different Federationist explaining what led up to the
founding of the NFB as well as examining the history and future options for
our movement.  This publication is also available on the NFB website
www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org> .  Clicking on links on the publication
will open related speeches and additional information.

. finally, for the last few years Newsline has provided local weather and
severe weather warnings.

John Halverson, Virginia Newsline Coordinator

John Halverson (johnh50 at verizon.net <mailto:johnh50 at verizon.net> )

703-379-1141 (home)

703-867-6400 (mobile)

blindness is not what holds you back.