[Nfbv-announce] Virginia Parents of Blind Children Report for the NFB of Virginia Board Meeting

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Mon May 2 23:14:39 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

I am sad to say that I will not be able to attend the May 7th board meeting
on behalf of the Parents Division.  But I would like to share a few thoughts
with everyone. We started our year at our State Convention in Northern
Virginia in October 2015.  I was honored to be selected as President of the
Parents Division and along with a fantastic board, we have made some
exciting changes this year so far!  We started out with 15 members at our
annual meeting and have since added 6 more parents to our mailing list.  We
have reached out to parents who request white canes in Virginia and parents
who have been interested in Virginia programs as well.  We have also started
a monthly conference call. These calls have averaged 5-7 people monthly
where we discuss upcoming events, how our children are doing, fundraising
ideas, increasing membership and just supporting each other in general.
Monthly, we send out by email what we discussed on our conference call
chats, any upcoming events, and general information that may be of interest
to us all.  We will be doing an annual fundraiser in the next month or so.
The parents division will be selling dips and cheesecakes and hope we can
count on everyone for their support.  Let us know if you want some yummy
snacks! Dip mixes will be $2.50 each and cheesecake mixes will be $5.00.
Feel free to contact me if you would like to order some!  Thank you again
for this wonderful opportunity in an organization I love.  Again, sorry I
cannot attend the board meeting, but I know it will be a great weekend for
all.

Thank you,

Laurie Wages

President of the Virginia Parents of Blind Children (VPOBC)

lburns24 at yahoo.com <mailto:lburns24 at yahoo.com>

blindness is not what holds you back.