[Nfbv-announce] A story about a member of the Fredericksburg chapter

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Sat May 21 22:49:11 UTC 2016

I share with you this interesting story concerning a member of our historic
Fredericksburg Chapter.

He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus.

Dear Michael,

I spoke with you about a week ago regarding me writing an article involving
Chris Ehrmann.  I incorporated lots of info from the NFB website.

The principles of being a Knight of Columbus (KofC) include charity, unity
and fraternity.  With these principles as our guiding light, much can be
accomplished.  Each of us has something to give.  Our abilities and skill
levels vary.  None the less, we each have something of value to give to
others in a spirit that keeps us together as brothers in Christ, together as
a family bound in these principles.

Recently I met another brother from the Father Widmer Council #7877 whom I
had never met before.  His name is Christopher Ehrmann.  I had the special
privilege and pleasure to work with Chris on April 17, 2016, at our donut
breakfast.   All proceeds from this breakfast were to be provided to the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB).  What I didn't realize initially was
that Christopher is legally blind.  In fact, he has been blind since birth.
He walks with a white cane and can read and write braille.  Christopher is
also a member of the local Fredericksburg Chapter of the NFB.  As we worked
together at the breakfast, Christopher informed me he recently participated
in a walk-a-thon in Fredericksburg to raise money for the NFB.  Over fifty
participants walked for about two hours in the downtown area and collected
over $4,000 in donations for the blind.  Christopher was Honorary Chairman
of the local NFB Chapter walk-a-thon and he led this event by carrying the
U.S. flag.  This was not only an honor for Chris but it was also quite a
task.  Christopher didn't question it.   He has done this before.  The cause
was a worthy one.

I thought it was very inspirational Christopher volunteered for this event
with his father, Greg.  Christopher is used to volunteering.  He is a third
degree Knight planning on eventually obtaining his fourth degree.  Through
Christopher and from my own research of the NFB, I learned the NFB's purpose
is to "integrate the blind into society with equality" (NFB of Virginia
website).   This purpose involves raising expectations and eliminating
obstacles.  Blindness doesn't have to hold anyone back from what they want
to achieve.

Michael Kasey, current President of the NFB of Virginia (and past Grand
Knight of the Father Widmer Council of the Knights of Columbus), said this
about Chris:  " He is a very positive individual and genuinely concerned.
Chris exercises all of the Knights of Columbus values and has worked at the
Rappahannock Goodwill and also as a former board member of the
Fredericksburg Chapter of the NFB."  Mr. Kasey said the biggest problems
blind people have involve feelings of isolation and being alone.  This, more
than anything, results in their struggle.  That is where we can help, by
assisting the blind to overcome these barriers, manage their own affairs and
speak for themselves.  Awareness of these problems can make a big
difference.  After all "the blind are people, just like you and me.  They
have the full range of talents and capacities and wits and wants that you
and I possess" (NFB of Virginia website).  All we have to do is open our own
eyes to see that.

"Over one million persons in the U.S. are blind.  Only aids and cancer are
feared more than blindness" (NFB of Virginia website).  Yet blindness does
not have to be the tragedy it might appear to be.  "Since the NFB was
created in 1940, it has tirelessly worked to help blind persons achieve
self-confidence and self-respect.  The NFB does this by providing public
education and literature about blindness, information and referral services,
scholarships, aids and appliances and other adaptive equipment for the
blind, advocacy services, civil rights protection, employment assistance and
support for blind persons and their families"  (NFB of Virginia website).

In the NFB there is a saying that "The real problem of blindness is not the
loss of eyesight, but the misunderstanding and lack of information that
exists.  If a blind person has proper training and opportunity, blindness
can be reduced to the level of a physical nuisance."  (NFB of Virginia
website).

In Christopher's case, his experiences in growing up blind are something
beyond comparison with those of a sighted person, as one might imagine.
Christopher summarizes these experiences with the words "People are nice to
me . . . "  Why shouldn't  people be nice.  Blindness knows no
discrimination.   Anyone of us can be born blind or become blind later in
life.  Understanding and awareness of what it is to be blind can only help
us to gain greater insight in helping with the problems associated with
blindness.

Blindness doesn't seem to have stopped brother Christopher from pursuing our
guiding principles.  In addition to the Fredericksburg walk-a-thon,
Christopher was also directly involved in last year's International Fall
Festival at St. William of York Catholic Church to raise money to help
offset the Parish debt.  He personally assisted at the Bingo activity.
Brother Christopher knows all too well the need to obtain funding for
research and assistance to the blind.  He does this by face to face meetings
with donors.  Each year he goes door to door during an annual effort to
collect needed funds for the National Federation of the Blind.

Christopher does not know sight through his eyes.  He "sees" by how others
respond to him.  I asked Christopher his reaction to his blindness.  He
responded immediately with these words:  "I enjoy what I have.  I am very
grateful for what I have."

I was very fortunate to meet Christopher at the donut breakfast.  This is
one brother who gives greater meaning to the words charity, unity and
fraternity.

If you are interested in donating to the NFB at the local level, you can
accomplish this by sponsoring those participants in the walk-a-thons, and
through raffles and donations.  The Knights of Columbus and the Lions Club
also provide funds to assist.  Donations are tax deductible.  Contributions
can also be made by donating vehicles.  Vehicles do not have to be running
and will be sold at auction or salvage.   You can call (855) 659-9314 to
donate your vehicle or donate your car online at nfb.org.   You can also put
the NFB in your will or donate cash directly to the National Federation of
the Blind.  Further information can be obtained by contacting Michael Kasey
at 540-760-3885 or michaelgkasey at verizon.net
<mailto:michaelgkasey at verizon.net> .

Jim Toth

Father Widmer Council