[Nfbv-announce] Correction to last Fairfax chapter announcement

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:24:32 UTC 2016

The next Fairfax chapter meeting will be October 20 and not September 20.
Thanks,
JB

Dear Fairfax Chapter Members and Friends,
September was an awesome month for us. I just wanted to take a moment too review all the exciting September events the chapter hosted and to thank those members who made it all possible.

First of all, I wish to thank Annette Carr and Joy Relton for organizing and participating in our September 24 Tech Day held in Fairfax. Both Annette and Joy went far beyond expectations to bring us the latest in book and newspaper accessibility technologies. And, there was much much more.

I would also like to thank Scott White from our national office in Baltimore who heads NFB-NEWSLINE for presenting at our event where he demonstrated not only how the vision impaired can easily read the newspaper as soon as it becomes available to the public.  But, also independently where ever and whenever you want.

A special shout-out goes to those members who helped out with registration - Cathy Schroeder and Rodney Neely. When we needed extra hands, they were there.

At our regularly scheduled September meeting held at the home of Fred and Cathy Schroeder, we hosted a program on how the vision impaired can be their own bosses and have their own businesses. It was not only interesting because of the real-world content we were able to learn from, it was also interesting because it was our second time having the program available to anyone in the state via conference call. It wasn't only those at Cathy's house who enjoyed the program, we had several check-ins from across the country also join us.

Just a preview of upcoming events:
October 15: Motorcycle show-and-tell-and-ride around Fairfax City. We will start the event at 10 AM at the Fairfax City Hall. More information will be coming soon. Make plans now.

October 20: Our presenter will be a local female judo champion who happens to be blind. Lori flips-on-its-head the idea that the vision impaired can't do sports. She will show us how we can participate in sports and about all the sport activities available to the blind. We will be meeting at the Fairfax Red Lobster on Fairfax Blvd. More information coming soon.

In addition, congratulations to Fairfax Chapter member and National Scholarship winner Sharon Jose for earning a fellowship grant from the chapter to assist with the costs of attending this year's state convention in Virginia Beach the weekend of November 11 thru 13.

Want more info about our events and chapter, contact John Bailey at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com<mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com> or via phone at 703.994.2040

For meeting times and locations, go to:
http://www.nfbv.org/chapters-divisions/fairfax/