[Nfbv-announce] Meet the Blind report

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 17:04:27 UTC 2016

Chris Walker shares this report through a Twitter blog:

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

>From the Editor:

Meet the Blind Month is more than just a chance to get together with our
fellow chapter members. It's the chance to get out in our communities and
show our fellow citizens that we can, and do, live the lives we want and
that blindness is not what holds us back. In this post, Christopher Walker,
a proud member of our Virginia affiliate explains why Meet the Blind Month
is so meaningful to him.

By Christopher Walker

I am a proud member of the National Federation of the Blind.  I am the
Outreach Chair for the Winchester Chapter of the NFB of Virginia.  I have
had many opportunities to go to local events in the community to educate
people and help to make them aware of blindness. Meet the Blind Month
provides a great opportunity to do outreach to the Winchester community.

Our chapter has participated in various activities around our city. On
October 15, 2016 we worked an informational booth where we distributed NFB
brochures and discussed the resources that are available in our community.

We build relationships and get involved with the community by attending and
participating in local programs and festivals, such as, the Community
Wellness Festival.  The Winchester Chapter has also been invited to speak at
several of our local Lions Clubs.  For White Cane Safety Day, our chapter
went to the Mayor's office to witness the signing of the Winchester White
Cane Safety Day Proclamation.

The Voter Registrar's Office has asked us to provide feedback to their
polling place workers on the voting experience with the ADA accessible
voting machines.  The Voter Registrar's office has also come to our chapter
meeting to provide hands-on training for the ADA accessible voting machines.
The relationship we are building with this office is one example of building
ties with the community.

There are so many other activities that we are involved with and we are
always coming up with new ideas on how to reach out to our community.  For
me this has been a great experience. I think that Meet the Blind Month is
extremely important because it gives us the opportunity to educate others on
what it is to be blind. Since I joined the National Federation of the Blind,
I've learned that we can live the life we want and that blindness does not
hold us back.

blindness is not what holds you back.