[Nfbv-announce] New Hopkins study announcement

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Fri Sep 16 18:15:12 UTC 2016

The announcement below is for your information only. We do not endorse nor
oppose the research study.

+++++

Participate in an MRI research study

The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab at Johns Hopkins University is
seeking blind participants for an MRI research study on cognition. The
purpose of this study is to investigate how lifetime experience shapes the
human brain. We are interested in how the brain adapts to the absence of
vision. To answer this question we use neuroimaging to compare the brains of
individuals with different life histories: adults who grew up with vision,
those who were born blind, and those who became blind later in life.

Participating in this study involves coming into the laboratory for one to
three MRI scanning sessions, each lasting between one and three hours.
During the scans participants listen to stories and sounds, feel Braille or
everyday objects, and answer questions about what they hear and feel.
Participants are compensated $30 per hour for their time. The study takes
place at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.  Travel costs to and
from the study site are covered by the laboratory.

To qualify for the study you must be a healthy totally blind adult, or with
minimal light perception, between 18 and 75 years-of-age. Before taking part
in the study, participants are asked to complete a pre-screening interview
over the phone to see whether they qualify. The screening interview takes
approximately 30 minutes. Those who complete the screening interview receive
a $15 Amazon gift card.

To learn more about participating, please contact the lab either by calling
410-870-9895 or emailing plasticity_lab at jhu.edu
<mailto:plasticity_lab at jhu.edu> .

Thank you for taking the time to read this announcement.