[Nfbv-announce] Help stop discrimination by Uber and Lyft to guidedogs!

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sat May 20 21:38:44 UTC 2017

Introducing the National Federation of the Blind's Rideshare Testing Program

Hello NFBV Federation Family,
The Guidedog Division of NFBV is excited to be partnering with our national office, Uber, and Lyft to conduct a number of tests to ensure that these rideshare companies are providing equal access to all riders with service animals.

In the past, services like Uber and Lyft have discriminated against people with service animals by not allowing them to enter their cars. In an effort to combat this practice, 'testers' from across the state who use these services and have service animals are encouraged to report their experiences (good and bad) to us so that the problem of ride denial can be halted.

Please see below for all of the details, share our social media posts and videos widely to get people engaged, and if you use Uber or Lyft, and have a service animal, be sure to sign up and help us test at www.nfb.org/rideshare  contact Michael Valentino <valentinoma19 at gmail.com> with any questions. Let's turn out some support Virginians-thanks in advance.

Why: This testing will be a critical tool for measuring Uber and Lyft's compliance with their NFB settlement agreements and will help NFB fulfill its agreement obligations. Participants' ongoing feedback will allow NFB to closely track the rideshare companies' efforts to provide equal access to riders with service animals. As you know, Uber and Lyft offer easy and affordable transportation services to the public, and these services should be fully and equally available to blind riders with service animals.

Where: The NFB's Uber and Lyft testing program will be administered nationwide, including in Puerto Rico, with specific focus on these targeted municipalities: Baltimore, Seattle, Dallas-Fort Worth, Boston, New York, Nashville, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, and the District of Columbia. This being said, we're looking to perform tests across the state, so make sure you contact Michael to become a tester in your area.

Who: This Lyft and Uber testing program is open to all riders with service animals and any individuals traveling with riders with service animals. Testers need not be members of the NFB; this is a great way to give nonmembers a glimpse into what we can do at NFBV to help people live the lives they want.

What: We need to let people know this is happening by sharing this information with all on your social media feeds, but specifically, we are looking for Uber testers across Virginia and some testers in NoVA to help test Lift. A test will be considered complete once the rider submits his/her answers to the online testing questionnaire. We are seeking feedback on positive and negative ride experiences. Be sure to let Michael know if you can sign up to help test.

When: Testing will begin on May 8 and will last for three years, with the possibility of a two-year extension if either Uber or Lyft fail to meet the terms outlined in their settlement agreement with the NFB.

Questions: Please see https://nfb.org/rideshare and https://nfb.org/rideshare-faq or contact Michael Valentino <valentinoma19 at gmail.com>

Want to learn more? Watch the below videos and share them with your friends!

uber descriminates against blind: You can help
https://youtu.be/oSRhqK5x3k8

Uber Descriminates Against Blind: Progress report
https://youtu.be/Q870fRsuPqk