[NFBV-Announce] The Count Down is On: #10

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 03:57:32 UTC 2020

We're now ten days away from the early registration deadline for the 62nd
annual state convention. Join us on a count down as we highlight the top ten
reasons why you should register and be a part of this historic gathering.

#10: Advancing the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia by
Empowering Black Members

Sunday, October 25 - 7 PM

2020 shook the nation. No greater tragedy has had as momentous an impact on
the public consciousness than the course of events that reopened a critical
dialogue on racial inequality. Opening this year's state convention is the
newly formed committee of black leaders in the NFB of Virginia affiliate.
Join us for an evening of celebration, personal stories, and brainstorming
to ensure we build and preserve an inclusive organization representative of
the rich heritage that makes Virginia the powerful commonwealth it is.

Highlighting the event is Mr. Ron Brown, Second Vice President of our
national parent organization and president of the  Indiana affiliate. Ron
Brown was born in Gary, Indiana, the first of eight children, to Marzette
and Myra Brown on May 15, 1956. When he was a senior in high school, he
became blind after he was shot on his way home from a basketball game. At
the time he knew nothing about blindness and was overwhelmed by the feeling
that his entire life had been radically changed in an instant. One of the
first painful lessons he learned was that many of his friends could not deal
with his blindness and stayed away from him. Luckily he began to make new
friends, members of the National Federation of the Blind. They became
inspiring role models for Ron, teaching him that it was respectable to be
blind and that he could continue to strive for the goals he had set himself.

Learn more of Ron's story here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drUs9oTfMLo

To register for the convention, visit:

http://nfbv.org/registration

Joe Orozco, Convention Organization and Arrangements