[nfbwatlk] Fw: Streets for People Kickoff Forum

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 01:04:18 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael McGinn
To: jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:37 PM
Subject: Streets for People Kickoff Forum

STREETS FOR PEOPLE Kick-off Forum

5-7 p.m., Thursday, February 12th
South Lake Union Armory, 860 Terry Ave N.

Seattle's abuzz with people working to improve their neighborhood streets by making them better for walking, biking, transit and trees. What if we could all find each other, so we could learn from and support each other?  Why  --  that would be a MOVEMENT!*

Join us & connect with others who share your passion. Learn, be inspired, and help create the future we all want to see.*

Speakers:
James Irwin: Organizing in the Obama era.  Learn how to tap into community values and leadership to create change.  James was trained on organizing by the same team that trained the Obama Campaign organizers, and was the lead organizer on the Sierra Club's successful 2007-2008 campaigns, including NoRTID, No on 985, Mass Transit Now and Cool State.

Renee Espiau: New York City Streets Renaissance Campaign. Hear about the amazing changes occurring in New York as local advocates come together to work for change. Discuss how Seattle can create its own campaign to revive great public spaces and lively streets.

Michael McGinn: Director of Seattle Great City Initiative

The Streets for People Campaign is dedicated to building a community movement that enhances our quality of life by improving our streets as public places, and prioritizing walking, biking and transit as the "new normal."  This campaign is based on the successful community coalition that passed the Seattle Parks for All Levy.

Event Host: Seattle Great City Initiative.  Great City brings together organizations and individuals committed to making positive, lasting change by breaking down traditional barriers that can get in the way of smart planning and helping Seattle grow and thrive as a truly great city.

Event Sponsors: Cascade Bicycle Club, Feet First, and the Sierra Club.

CoSponsors: GroundswellNW, UrbanSparks, Sustainable Ballard, Friends of Seattle, Spokespeople, Sustainable NE Seattle, Sustainable Seattle, Sustainable Green Lake, and the SafeWalks Coalition.

*We'd love it if you'd like to work with us by presenting display at the event, being a cosponsor, and/or joining the campaign.  Please let us know if you have any questions and if you would like to participate.